Elements in Open GL disappear in viewports

iswope

Question

I actually have two frustrations.

The first is that elements of my model are disappearing in openGL. It seems to have something to do with how much of the object is behind the camera.

The second is that when I make a viewport from a view, the visibilities change. Polygon fills which are on the layer planes disappear, and the disappearing elements (mentioned above) become more of an issue.

I have uploaded two screenshots one from the Design layer (green floor from the 2D Polygon on layer plane) and one from a viewport. (Notice the absence of the wall on the left.)

A few notes:

In order for the viewport to fit onto the sheet, the scale of the viewports is enormous (1:1500)

Both origins are close to the model space

I got the model to cooperate by splitting up the elements so that not much of the element is behind the camera. I feel that this is a workaround, not a solution,

The elements also disappear in the design layer, but not as frequently.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.35.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.35.15 PM.png

Edited by iswope
  • Like 2

6 answers to this question

Which version of VW are you using? What type of machine are you running it on? Integrated graphics or separate graphics card?

From the screen shots I would be curious about the figures you are using. Are they the old VW human figure? I would try turning them off and see if your rendering issues go away.

7 hours ago, iswope said:

I actually have two frustrations.

The first is that elements of my model are disappearing in openGL. It seems to have something to do with how much of the object is behind the camera.

^ this sounds like a graphics issue, hence my questions above.

7 hours ago, iswope said:

The second is that when I make a viewport from a view, the visibilities change. Polygon fills which are on the layer planes disappear, and the disappearing elements (mentioned above) become more of an issue.

^ check to make sure that the Display Planar Objects checkbox is active in the OIP for your viewport. This issue is more likely related to your Viewport settings.

If you are able to post an example file we may be able to help further.

Kevin

Thanks for the reply, I am running VW2019.  I am on two Machines at work and at home, both have the same issue. both imacs. my work machine is brand new 4.2 Core i7 with 64GB memory and Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB graphics card. My home machine is a bit older (2 years) but similar specs. You are right about the figures, they are older VW figures, the issues seam to persist even without them in the model.

I am running OS10.13 at work.  I've Up[dated my home Machine the Mohave.

Display Planar objects is checked. The objects are shown. the difference is, in the viewport they are shown as white, while in the design layer they are shown with their color fill. (see attached)

I have managed to work around this, but I would love some insights as to what exactly is happening.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.17.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.17.07 PM.png

Edited by iswope
3 hours ago, iswope said:

Thanks for the reply, I am running VW2019.  I am on two Machines at work and at home, both have the same issue. both imacs. my work machine is brand new 4.2 Core i7 with 64GB memory and Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB graphics card. My home machine is a bit older (2 years) but similar specs. You are right about the figures, they are older VW figures, the issues seam to persist even without them in the model.

Your machine specs should be more than adequate for most VW work so I doubt its that.

3 hours ago, iswope said:

Display Planar objects is checked. The objects are shown. the difference is, in the viewport they are shown as white, while in the design layer they are shown with their color fill. (see attached)

There are four possible things I can think of that would affect object colour in a sheet layer viewport -

1. Your OpenGL preferences for the viewport render settings. Make sure "Use Textures" and "Use Colours" are both checked.
  2. In the Advanced Properties dialog (button in the OIP) "Black and White Only" may be active.
  3. The attributes of the object's class may be overridden.
  4. Layer colours for the layer of the objects may be active.

Without looking at the file directly, those are the items I would check.

Kevin

I have somewhat similar experience.   Design layer color fill of wall style components  disappears in OGL. SLVPs seem to render as expected in OGL and RW modes.

For me, problem is with walls that have color fill for the various components instead of textures (textures are disabled in classes of the various components).  In v2019 SP1 and earlier versions, walls rendered as expected, with separate component color fills assigned in wall style prefs by component class.  As of v2019SP2, the same walls render OGL with all components displaying monochrome light gray or white.  RW render modes render the separate component colors as expected.

Problem manifests in new wall & components in new v2019SP2 file. Same fail in walls converted from v2018 and from SP1.  Everything worked fine until SP2.

Workaround for wall components:  Enable/Assign textures (eg plain color texture) to the class definitions of the various components.  Downside is that this can add some CPU/GPU overhead.

@iswope - might be worth trying plain color texture on one of the floors instead of color fill? Is it a Floor or Slab or other "smart" object with components? My basic planar objects (rectangles, polygons, 3d polys, etc) display color fills properly.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
style prefs, class definitions, oi!

@Benson Shaw The Floors are actually just polygons drawn on the Layer Plane.  My question is more about why the Viewport differs from the view I get when looking at the design layer when they are both open GL. 

This drawing started out life as a space planing diagram laid over a simple model. Extruding them makes the color visible, but they change because they are effected by the ambient light.

@Kevin McAllister Thank you for your thoughts. I think it has to do with the way Open GL is effected when you try to use it in a Viewport. 

@iswope - 

If you are still trying to solve or work around this, here are some more things to try:

Copy/Paste-in-Place one of the polys, and one adjoining wall into a new blank vwx file, make a SLVP and test the renders.

If VP renders colorless, post the new file here so others can examine.

If this new VP renders OGL properly, keep adding small bunches objects via Copy/Paste-in-Place from the orig file until fail. (object problem)

If all objects get into the new file and the VP renders OK, then just start using the new file. (file problem)

HTH

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
details
  • Like 1