Dashed hidden line render quality

Hi!

I am designing some mechanical machine elements using Vectorworks 2019 for MacOSX.

To make a proper drawing for the mechanical workshop, I am requested to use the rendering option "Dashed hidden line" in the sheet viewport.

However, I always get a rather poor "sketchy" render, where circles are becoming raggedy polygons instead of a nice circle.

The "hidden line" options settings does not affect this at all.

When using wireframe, the shape is perfect.

Is there any way to correct this, or is there any other rendering option available?

Try checking these two settings;

go to:   Tools -> Options -> Vectorworks Preferences.

Under the "Edit" tab, look on the right for "2D conversion resolution" and it's likely that it's set to "Low" or "Medium".... Try raising that first, and that will improve the circle rendering in the hidden line VP, at the expense of speed.

If that doesn't work, in the same dialogue box, go to the "3D" tab, and look for "3D conversion resolution" and do the same.

I think the first option is for flat sheets rendering, and the second one is for live 3d modelling, using both you can optimise the performance/quality balance of VW.

When models get complex or slower, I lower the resolution for working, and then just before output I re-raise it again to get better quality (albeit at a speed cost)

I hope this helps!

P.S. as a footnote, Section Viewports have this control built in. Select the section VP and in the OIP choose "Advanced Properties", and in the "Display" tab you'll see the same. I for one would love to see this control applied to all viewports, so we can select on a case by case basis!

• 7 months later...

Hi @Bengt Nilsson, I provide technical support for the New Zealand distributor of Vectorworks. Late to the party I know, but I'll submit here in case this has value to other users encountering this issue too. I've spent a fair bit of time with this issue. The solution is counter-intuitive because DPI normally relates to raster graphics (images), not vector graphics: 

Ensure the DPI setting in the PDF options (whether using Export PDF or Publish to PDF) is set high enough to create the level of accuracy you want. Basically, every vertex will conform to the intersecting lines of an invisible 'grid' whose degree of accuracy is determined by this DPI setting. Hover your cursor over the DPI field and read the explanation blurb at the bottom of the window.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 2.51.26 PM.png

i use a mix of hidden line, dashed hidden line, and openGL viewports on my sheet pages. At first I was getting pretty poor quality output, then I discovered that you can change the DPI of the sheet layer, set to 72 by default, I change mine to at least 144, sometimes 300, not sure if this helps your problem, screenshot attached 

Screenshot 2019-08-19 at 11.00.18.png