Jim Smith

Eyedropper tool seems arbitrary

Question

The Eyedropper tool seems to have a mind of its own. For some objects it's great & one can change the settings for great results. For PIO's it seems to be hit & miss. Columns don't seem to pick up or put down all attributes, Wall heights don't get transferred, Window & Door heights much the same thing. Should one just assume that the tool doesn't fully work for PIO's? 

I'll put a wish list item in for additional features to the tool.

5 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure those things should work if you have "Plugin Parameters" enabled in the eyedropper settings.

Posted (edited)

Hi Jim

All Parameters are on in both pick-up & put down; & ne marche pas!

Presently all elements selected

Untitled.jpeg

But this is what happens when one tries to use the tool to another door (ie nothing):

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 16.52.14 (2).png

Edited by Jim Smith

Not to gripe too much, but this tool used to pick-up & put-down attributes either from a Group & / or into a Group, this doesn't happen now. This just adds steps. I get that this is something one might not want to do, but it should be a choice.

I find that I have to click the object twice with the bucket to drop down the proper attributes.  

I agree with Jim. The eyedropper tool has devolved. It doesn't work on anything grouped (why not? This is an absurd flaw. Things are grouped all over the place in a VW document.) It works only around half the time on anything else. If you can't fix something, just delete it and send a message to your users saying that you have done so. It is much better to weed out tools and plug-ins that don't work than to leave them there because you are embarrassed about it. Be honest and honesty is nothing more than being able to deliver bad news. VW would be better off in the end with fewer tools, but where all the tools work.

That said, will this tool be fixed anytime soon? I'm using VW2018SP6 and is not working.

MHBrown