VW2019 spinning wheel when editing text in view port

Question

12 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@912345678 it looks like we have other reports of this problem and are working on a fix, but I'd like to add your example if you wouldn't mind messaging me a copy of the file?

From what I'm seeing the problem is worse if you update the viewports and then edit the Annotations. So one workaround might be to get the viewports in an updated state, then save/close/reopen the file, and then edit the VP Annotations. I'm not sure how much it'll help, but it might be the best approach until we can get this fixed.

Best Regards,

Tim

That happened to me as well.  I updated to 2019 this morning and can't edit text as well.
I tried to open a blank document and just used the text tool.  I get the spinning wheel and unresponsive application message again and again.
My computer is running on macOS Mojave v10.14.3 and the version of Vectorworks is 2019SP2 (Build 463397) (64-Bit)   Please help!

I have a similar issue that has been happening to me, but rather than the issue pertaining to editing a label, it's whenever I try to move or even select a text callout. Sometimes it takes more than 10-15 minutes before the color wheel stops spinning and I'm able to do anything else.

We're using VW 2019 SP3, on iMac macOS Mojave V10.14.4, 3.5Ghz Intel Corei5, 24GB system memory, 2GB graphics memory. (I need to add a signature to my profile)

• Like 1

@sixthflick can you try something on your end which will help us diagnose the problem?

-Launch the Console app (in Applications/Utilities)

-In VW, select the Callout or do whatever operation is causing the lag

-While the lag is occurring, look in the Console app and note what messages are showing

Do you see lots of consecutive messages that say "EXCEPTION" or something along those lines?

If so, this looks like the same Mojave problem we've been running into. From my understanding, Apple made a change to how exceptions are handled in 10.14, and this causes issues with our Object Info Palette. The problem seems to be much-improved in SP3 due to some changes we made, but we're finding that it still happens for some users in certain cases.

If this is the problem you're seeing, un-docking and re-docking the Object Info Palette will typically fix the problem for the rest of the session.

If this isn't the problem you're seeing, the next step would be to get a sample of the slowdown. This can be done through the Activity Monitor application. While the lag is occurring, highlight the VW 2019 app in Activity Monitor and choose "Sample Process" from the utility menu at the top. This will create a Sample file that we can look at on our end.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Tim C. said:

@sixthflick

Do you see lots of consecutive messages that say "EXCEPTION" or something along those lines?

If this is the problem you're seeing, un-docking and re-docking the Object Info Palette will typically fix the problem for the rest of the session.

If this isn't the problem you're seeing, the next step would be to get a sample of the slowdown. This can be done through the Activity Monitor application. While the lag is occurring, highlight the VW 2019 app in Activity Monitor and choose "Sample Process" from the utility menu at the top. This will create a Sample file that we can look at on our end.

Hi Tim C.

I haven't tried the Object Info Palette un-docking, re-docking yet, but I am experiencing a multitude of exceptions when attempting to move, copy, or even edit callouts. I've attached a copy of my "sample process" as requested, as well as a screen shot of the run of exceptions...that go on for miles.

Thanks!

Sample of Vectorworks 2019.txt

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 1.43.07 PM.png

Edited by sixthflick
grammar corrections

Thanks, Tim C.!

Un-docking and re-docking the Object Info Palette did fix the problem.
Besides, I notice that we can now update to Vectorworks 2019 (SP 3.1) and it permanently fixed it without un-docking and re-docking the palette.
I've struggled with this problem and have to use Vectorworks 2018 instead for months.  Hopefully, the new update will be fully compatible with MacOS Mojave.

• Like 1

@archdaly are you using VW 2019 or VW 2020? Some of these problems still exist in later versions of VW 2019, but this should be fixed in VW 2020. 

Did you ever try the un-docking and re-docking of the OIP? This usually fixes the problem for the rest of the session.

Hope this helps,

Tim

@Tim C. 2019 that I just paid through the NOSE for. So far I'm not very happy with it. Lag/spinning wheel. Render cache issues... the list goes on. Seems to happen more often when something has been imported into the file be it a dwg, pdf, sketchup model etc.

I'd encourage your team to look at import functionality and how that affects the file? having the option to import a number of different formats isn't helpful if they cause corruption. 

• Like 1