How does your office handle standard details in VW?

techdef

I've searched and searched here, and watched Jonathans video, nothing quite helps get me out of the gate replacing our old acad detail library in VW.

What's your office doing for details? We have a shared workgroup on the server. I would like them to live there. Ideally, they'll be readily available, and easy to edit. No strong preference yet between placing them directly into Sheets v Design layers. I like the idea of using the Detail callout tool, but not if I have to type the name of the detail again to use it. I would generally put that into the detail itself so we cant screw it up... 

Our previous workflow in Acad was to have shared files (say, stucco wall details) on the server. Xref that into model and then viewport the details one needs. It worked well.

I can see doing something very similar so tried a few tests yesterday: If you Viewport ref in the details file, you have to draw a rectangle over the detail before you can detail viewport it. Not a major imposition, but kind of silly. If you layer-reference the detail in, you can have the rectangle in the detail (which we usually use to verify their size anyhow).

Lastly, it seems you can do page-scaled symbols and then just plop them right onto sheet layers?

So... what're you doing!? Where's the best-practices guide for this?

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 9.48.32 AM.png

The best way is to have 'Detail' Design Layers and then do Viewports onto Sheet Layer for each of those 'Detail' Design Layers.

Take advantage of Vectorwork's ability to have information contained in discrete 'model spaces' that have different display scales.  It gives you the ability to systematically organise your work and not have to scale attributes in Viewports.  By this I mean use the same Layer Scale for your 'Detail' Design Layers as you want to output them to in the Sheet Layers (ie. paper space). 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, techdef said:

line-weight,

Fair enough - something I'd not considered... how are you doing yours? On a Details layer? As symbols?

8 hours ago, mike m oz said:

The best way is to have 'Detail' Design Layers and then do Viewports onto Sheet Layer for each of those 'Detail' Design Layers.

Take advantage of Vectorwork's ability to have information contained in discrete 'model spaces' that have different display scales.  It gives you the ability to systematically organise your work and not have to scale attributes in Viewports.  By this I mean use the same Layer Scale for your 'Detail' Design Layers as you want to output them to in the Sheet Layers (ie. paper space). 

I tend to have large scale details on their own design layer. Then just viewport them into whichever sheet layer I want them on. I don't see a benefit of making them symbols. If the exact same detail recurs in several places I'd just have it once on a drawing sheet with multiple references back to it.

Sometimes I'll have several detail layers. Reason for this is sometimes it's useful to have them 'stacked' on top of each other. Say you are drawing an eaves detail that changes along the length of the building. Maybe the wall buildup stays the same but it transitions from a pitched roof to a flat one. You need to draw 2 or 3 details to show each of the different conditions but each of these details will have certain elements in common. If each condition is on a different layer it's easy to copy and paste-in-place between each one. Can also be a handy way to make sure things line up with each other and so on.

Since I transitioned to drawing much more in 3d I haven't fully worked out whether to change how I do details. I think I'd like to try a system where I section the main model at the detail points, and make a design layer viewport with the basic geometry that I then 'trace' off and add detail to, and send to a sheet layer viewport without the design layer viewport being visible. Haven't actually tried doing this yet though, and probably a bit confusing if you're new to VW.