Scaling Hatches

Hi guys, I'm a new VW Landmark 2019 user running a Windows 10 computer. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to scale hatches in VW like I could in CAD or SketchUp. The sand and earth hatches are way too big on my details and I need them to scale down. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You may just need to toggle the hatch or hatches youre using(via a radial menu on the left of the Edit Hatch dialog) setting called "Units" Page/World. World I believe will cause that hatch to look the same on all sheets even if the objects are being shown at different scales. Page changes how the hatch appears based on the scale it's being displayed at.

• Like 1

Apologies, i meant when you right click > Edit that hatch in the Resource Manager, which should get you this dialog, which at the bottom also lets you set a custom scale factor override (via the "Scale..." button) if just the world/page toggle isn't what you need:

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 9.22.03 AM.png

• Like 1

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here but I found that hatch in the resources manager, right clicked on it, any only got these options - no "Edit Hatch" option. (See attached picture) Also, would this change the scale of the hatch in every occurrence or just a single occurrence?  

hatch_resources_manager.png

• Like 1

That's just because you're editing the one within the resource library, select the instance of it that resides in your file which is listed near the top left of the resource manager currently showing "Untitled 1" then you can fully edit it.

• 3 years later...

Yes I was making sure it was in the active file. I always seem to find the answer I need after I post for some reason!

I was able to edit it by going through the Modify, Hatch which then brings up the hatches in the file and am able to edit that way.  I am trying to edit a herringbone pattern. The length of the "tile" is correct now I have to figure out how to get the width correct as it is half the size I need.  Hatches are always so much fun to deal with, "not".  LOL

I'd forgotten about Modify > Hatch... This is normally used I think for creating 'non-associative hatches' which I can't imagine many people use. I certainly don't. A non-associative hatch uses the same pattern as a normal 'associative' hatch but applies it as a group of lines to a 2D shape to which it then has no further association with i.e. you're left with the hatch-derived lines in a Group over with the original shape underneath.

The 'Hatch...' command can indeed be used as a way - as you have done - of accessing the 'Edit Hatch' dialog for an associative hatch but seems strange you weren't also able to do it by right-clicking on the hatch in the RM...

I'd be interested to know if others are using non-associative hatches for anything. I'd forgotten they were a thing.