computer suggestions

tristanwel21

I have a  fairly high spec iMac 2017(27")  used to learn VW18/19. I have a full-time hands on gardening business outside of landscape design to earn bread and butter . Now thinking of a lower/necessary spec computer/laptop (Apple or windows) so I can work away at my girlfriends who is about to live 50mins away. I am still at entry level status with Vectorworks.

Also what is it like to work around 2 platforms (Windows and MacOS)  VW19 in mind?.

I prefer larger screens. 

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As far as laptops go, if you go Apple you'll have to go fairly pricey. Only their high end models come in the larger 17" screens. The larger screen sizes are much more prevalent on the Windows side and better specs can be had much more cheaply there too.

The best places to focus on are gaming laptops, with a single gaming-oriented non-Intel GPU (we cant use SLI or Crossfire, etc) at least 16GB of RAM. The Asus ROG series, MSI, and Razer make solid choices. Alienware work fine as well, but they are often much higher priced. HP and Acer have offerings in that area as well but I have heard lots of quality complaints with them anecdotally. 

If you have some models you are currently considering, I can certainly take a look and offer input.

I would hate to work with both Windows and Mac (well with Windows in particular), but that's a personal thing. I like been a master of macOS and not having to learn or bother with Windows OS. Plus I love Apple hardware and their vertical integration with software.

That said, Vectorworks won't push you either way. Works equally well on both systems.

Thanks Jim and Christiaan.

To Jim. I see you are very experienced and are using windows and Mac OS. I like the suggestions based on budget. The other consideration is buying a smaller sized Macbook with lower spec and connecting to an external monitor then buying an add on external GPU at a later date when needed. If this is a good idea what would you suggest. Also with a casual user like myself at the moment and in need of training would it be hard for me to work between the 2 OS platforms? Or are there benefits with respect to working with customers in he future etc?

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,
I'm new in this forum and I don`t know if this is the right place to do this question.
I`m thinking in purchase the Vectorworks Architect and I`m thinking in a HP zbook studio x360 (Intel Core i7-8750H; 16 GB RAM; Nvidia Quadro P1000; SSD 512 GB) or the Lenovo P1 with the same characteristics.
I`m a freelancer and my works are mostly residencial houses and I will start to work in a BIM environmmet and start to explore the VR aplications.
Is this PC good enough to the job?
I would apreciate any sugestion.

Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue!

Thanks!