how to convert vectorworks10 .vwx files to the new version vectorworks12.5.1?

Pan

Question

8 answers to this question

Then either it is corrupted or it is not a VW10 file.

Could it be a VW 2010 file? That would be newer than the VW12 version you have and could be the reason  it will not open.

If that is the case you will need to find someone with VW2010 to open the file and Export it back to a VW12.5 format.  

The best option would be for someone with an actual version of VW2010. If you do a newer version it will first have to convert to the new version and then export back. More likely to lose data that way.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks as always Pat for your helpful input. I'm trying to remember when we changed from the .MCD extension to the .VWX extension. It could have been VW 11 or as early as 10. But I think you are right. The alert message shown is what you get when you try to open a file created with a newer version of Vectorworks. My guess here is VW_2010.

Hi Pat,

The file is new and it was created just 4 days back. So I don't think it would be corrupted.

I think I may have to ask some one, if anyone got VW2010 to help me out and convert into VW12.5.1 ' .mcd format.

Although I do have the same file in pdf format, which I can import into VW12.5.1, but don't know how to access it from there, as it would not allow me to change anything on it.

Regards

Pan

I have VW 2011 running on a 17inch MacBook.  I'm pretty sure it can export to VW 12.  If you want to send it to me, I'll see if I can turn it into something useful for you.

Sam

Samuel L. Jones
Developer of AutoPlot Tools for SpotLight, and AP Cable Tools

E-mail: sjones@autoplotvw.com

=============================================================

Hi Sam

Thank you very much for your message. I really appreciate your help. I have just emailed you (@ sjones@autoplotvw.com) the files, both files are made in vw10 (with name File1.vwx and AlteredFile1.vwx). I want to open them on VW12.5.1. I think it should open .mcd format, but you may know better then I do.

Regards

Pan

Edited by Pan
Did not complete the previous sentence