DWG Export zoom issue

I've been trying to find something related to this and have had zero luck...so hoping to find something here.

I'm using Vectorworks 2014 for architecture. I have a a file that's for a large mixed used building (about 250,000sf) that's semi complicated in file structure. File size is 173MB. When I export the floor plan backgrounds to an older DWG to share with contractors, they're having an issue of being able to zoom in only partially and then not be able to zoom in any further.

This has been happening with several contractors over various iterations of AutoCAD. I've also been able to strip the file down to next to nothing, size wise. We've tried all of the usual ACAD tricks to no avail (regenall, etc). All of this leads me to believe that it's an issue in the file itself or perhaps how I'm exporting it. But I've tried exporting in many different ways as well. Various years, dwg vs dxf, purging, etc, etc.

Has anyone else come across this and did they ever find a fix?