New Mac question

JGL

I am about to get a new machine. I am currently usung a dual 1G Mac with a GeForce 4MX video card (64mb). 1.5M RAM

I am going to upgrade to a G5. The question I have is whether to go with a dual 2G with a top of the line video card (GeForce 6800 Ulta DDL or Radeon 9800 XT. Both are 256mb), or a dual 2.5G with a Radeon 9600 XT 128mb.

I guess the question is which is more important, processor speed, or video card. I am assuming video card.

I am currently using Architect/Renderworks 11.0.1 and do alot of 3D + Renderworks. Sometimes complex models will loose OpenGL interactivity and become wireframe when rotating, etc.

Hope the new machine will solve that!

Sorry for the long post!

HI JAMES,

A long time ago when I was considering buying a new computer, but worried about the expense my uncle asked me, "Will you use it for work every day?". When I responded, "Yes", he then asked, "How can you afford NOT to buy it?" That is still one of the best pieces of advice around. Maybe it will even make your work more fun :-)

I an wondering what is the speed issue everyone is talking about, a bit of lag when selecting an object to it showing up in the info box, or much more importantly, the time you wait for a render?

if rendering speeds ( of Renderworks rendering) are an issue, then I would get the fastest dual processor you can afford.

the faster video cards will give you faster video, gui, opengl rendering, and the like. Tiger will have some nice new imaging tech called Coreimage, you might want to read up on that.