Imac Pro Vs upgraded/loaded 27" Imac

We are testing a new imac pro, and while it seems to perform excellent Im wondering if a standard 27" with top of the line graphics and processor wouldnt be a better bang for the buck.  We are looking at adding 2 more machines regardless and at the IMac pro price point it begs the question.

I also recall many saying VW can take advantage of the multi core in the macs?  We are moving into more renders, and i some instances more DTM's.  Maybe after more time with the Imac Pro I will see the up side?  I just want to get some outside opionions on others maybe more familiar with the hardware side of things.  If we can run a standard Imac fully spec'd I see no reason to go crazy spending on Imac Pros, as much as Id love to have em!

FYI I mac pro is the 27" stock option.

Thinking @zoomer and @jimwilson can shed some light maybe? Any others feel free to chime in.

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 12.37.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 12.38.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 12.38.36 PM.png

Edited by HEengineering

I drank the koolaid and ended up going with the imac pro 10 core and the radeon 64. Probably should have robbed a bank but did the Barclay card financing deal so its less painful. some in tech support think that the not pro would do fine. I opted to try to future proof ergo 10 cores (I had 6 cores on the2009 Mac Pro which could  not keep up.  Its a big boost with rendering but until they go to multi core for building sections (single core), it doesn't matter unless you opt to bump processor speed over more cores. If rendering, four cores ain't gonna cut it in my opinion. Others may have a better technical take. The new iMac has been a significant productivity boost over my 9 year old Mac Pro trash can. 

• Like 2

The more the merrier. Jim Wilson may be able to steer you but I've seen speed improvements moving from 6 to 10. 14 started to get silly expensive for me. 3ghz and 10 cores vs 3.8ghz and 4 cores. My guess is more speed with 10 as the clock speed is not appreciably different.

We recently upgraded to a 10 core iMac Pro. I would say my workflow has increased by 10%.

Super happy with this unit, except to the cost, saying that we are looking at it through the long-term lense...hoping to get 5 good years.

We have another workstation which needs to be replaced and we're giving the Mac mini a serious look.

Edited by J. Wallace