Legend is too wide

Jemx

Question

Hi guys,

i've used my own symbol in the drawing. My goal is to have a layoutview, with a part of my drawing and a legend. If i'm inserting the legend into the drawing it all works fine but if i'm inserting the legend into the layoutview (A4) the legend becomes huge (1,942 x 0,7m).

Because this is only happening if i'm using my own symbol, i'm assuming it has something to do with my symbol definition. Does anyone know, whats wrong?

Thanks in advance!

9 answers to this question

If I understand your question, you are probably seeing the geometry scale up from whatever it was on the design layer where you created the symbol to 1:1 on the Sheet Layer.

You have a couple of options:

1.  In the Resource Manager, right click on the symbol and choose Edit Symbol Options

Under Units, change it from World-based to Page-based.

In the Resource Manager, the symbol name will turn green.  Indicating that the symbol is Page-based.

OR 

2.  Select the instance of the symbol on the Sheet Layer.  

In the OIP set the Scaling pulldown to Symmetric

in the Factor field enter the inverse of the scale the symbol was created in.  i.e.  if the symbol was drawn in 1:50 scale enter 1/50.

OR

3.  Recreate the symbol on a 1:1 design layer on on a sheet layer.

Thanks for your help@michaelk!

Sadly none of these options could help me.

1) Didn't had any effect on the legend.

2) I cant select only this symbol because it's is part of the legend.

3) I've recreated my symbol from scratch, same problem as before.

As I've played around with the symbol definition i noticed that all works fine until i add 3D geometry. Everything in my Sheet Layer is 2D and the symbol is drawn correct in the legend (second screenshot), but it seems, that the legend always becomes the 3D Bounding Box of the Symbol (first screenshot).

Vectorworks2019_2018-12-20_10-45-06.png

Vectorworks2019_2018-12-20_10-46-28.png

It's hard to know what you are trying to achieve here and what tools you are using. 

Could you take a screen shot of the actual item you want to display and maybe make a sketch of where you want it to appear on the page. There are several tools in Vectorworks that will do this but it is hard at the moment to think what tools would be best for you.

Mark

Hi Mark,

The first screenshot shows the symbol. The second screenshot shows a testfile (on the Construction Layer). Until now it all works fine.

Now I create a new Viewport (green rectangle in the second screenshot) and import it into a new Sheet Layer.

If I'm now inserting a legend (same style as in screenshot 1), this happens (third screenshot). My goal is to have the same legend in my Sheet Layer as in my Construction Layer.

I'm guessing, that the bounding box of the legend is so big, because of the 3D symbol. As soon as I turn the symbol into a pure 2D symbol (by deleting all 3D components) the legend is back to the normal size.

Thanks for your help!

symbol.png

construction_layer_green.png

sheet_layer.png

OK. What do you mean by a "legend". That's not a tool I understand. Are you talking about a lighting instrument label legend?

What are you trying to achieve. I have a feeling you are using the wrong tool...... If you can explain to me what you want the final result to be, then I feel sure I can help.

Mark

Its not the label legend.

Sadly i can't get the English version of VW, so i can only describe where you can find the tool I'm trying to use:

It can be found in the "Measuring/Labeling" toolset (the ruler and the pencil). For me it's the 18th tool, three under the hyperlink tool. The icon is a rectangle with three litte squares inside (green/blue/red) and text beside these squares.

On my Sheet Layer i want to have for each symbol the symbol icon, the count of the symbols and the name of the symbol (so that people wo aren't familiar with the symbols can easily read and understand the planning).

(sorry for the confusion, i'm not a nativ English speaker 😕)

Got it!

It's the Data tag tool. Try double-clicking on the viewport and entering the Annotations Space. When you are there you should be able to use the tag on individual symbols. The data should display much better and with the correct data and at the correct scale.

Come back with any more questions.

Hi Mark,

thanks for the help. But sadly the Data tag tool is not quite what i need.

I need a tool, that creates a summary of all symbols used on a layer (and specific classes) and counts them.

I've attached a test file with a viewport, Construction layer and  Layout layer.

Many thanks in advance!

And happy new year @all!

huge_legend_testing.vwx

Sadly my professional version of Vectorworks will not open your file. 

It sounds to me that what you need to investigate are worksheets as they will summarise symbols by criteria and count them for you. You need to run the "Create Report" Command from the menu. (Its position varies depending on which version of the software you have) If you set these criteria then you should see similar results like the one below. I have stock Vectorworks symbols in this example file which is also below.......

image.thumb.png.55038d90b20d7576425e3460ce9bc845.png

image.thumb.png.e4e2b1a4fa15b99887d87d69a3ce528d.png

Symbol Count.vwx