2019 Titleblock added fields

MSLD

Question

May be another bug. When I edit a title block border style, I can add fields, but when I click on the border to edit the sheet data, the new fields won't show up. They do show up in the titleblock manager. So the only way i can add the data is to use the cumbersome titleblock manager. FIX ME!

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

3 hours ago, MSLD said:

May be another bug. When I edit a title block border style, I can add fields, but when I click on the border to edit the sheet data, the new fields won't show up. They do show up in the titleblock manager. So the only way i can add the data is to use the cumbersome titleblock manager. FIX ME!

Is your field linked to a text object in your title block? I've noticed that the Title Block Border Settings dialog only seems to see active (linked) custom fields.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

Correct.

In the TBB Settings dialog are displayed only the default fields and the linked fields to texts in the layout. This was done, as it was requested by many users, in order to reduce the ammount of fields that are not used.

Information about this could be found in the help site - http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/j4pBGwth78lpn/eng/index.htm#t=VW2019_Guide%2FSetup%2FAdding_a_Title_Block_Border.htm%23XREF_18689_Adding_a_Title&rhsearch=title block border settings&rhsyns=

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

If that's the reasoning, I would think it should display ONLY the linked fields.

In fact, I really dislike that we're required to have all those default fields, most of which I don't use, and which cause confusion amongst co-workers (e.g. "Project Date" vs "Date" vs "Current Plot Date" vs what we actually use which is "Date of Drawing" but we can't hide the others). While I understand the difference between each of those examples, not everyone does, so I often see data entered into wrong fields.

It would be nice to have control over what fields are displayed, perhaps as another parameter when you click "Manage Project/Sheet Data"? (For reference, see Spotlight Settings<Lighting Device Parameters for how this should function.) This would increase flexibility, and I'm sure CAD managers who set up standards and title blocks for larger workgroups would appreciate better control over the fields. It would also address scenarios like MSLD's.

Mockup:

fields.thumb.jpg.6c1bb062b069b52e2df0607ad69a15f1.jpg

Nikolay, you'd probably know best if this would be theoretically possible to add in the future?

This also ties into the discussion in this thread in a few ways. We want flexibility and control 🙂 

• Like 3

We have having an issue with the TBB in our office. 

Our Title block was set up using 2018 and all worked well. Now you can only edit the Sheet Name and Sheet Number through double clicking on each title block and editing it in settings. If you try to edit the sheet name and sheet number on sheet data in the TBB, those two fields are not shown even though they are active and linked to data. 

How can I get these two fields to show in the TBB, so that I dont have to go through each page and go into each title block settings individually?

Thank you 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 minutes ago, twhitwell6 said:

We have having an issue with the TBB in our office. 

Our Title block was set up using 2018 and all worked well. Now you can only edit the Sheet Name and Sheet Number through double clicking on each title block and editing it in settings. If you try to edit the sheet name and sheet number on sheet data in the TBB, those two fields are not shown even though they are active and linked to data. 

How can I get these two fields to show in the TBB, so that I dont have to go through each page and go into each title block settings individually?

Thank you 

Hello @twhitwell6,

The Sheet Number/Title fields are not available in the Title Block Manager. However, you could easily change these fields for the Title Block Borders if you have "Auto Drawing Coordination" turned on in Document Preferences and edit the Sheet Layers from the Organization dialog.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

10 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

The Sheet Number/Title fields are not available in the Title Block Manager. - WHY, you could do this before and it was great. 

However, you could easily change these fields for the Title Block Borders if you have "Auto Drawing Coordination" turned on in Document Preferences and edit the Sheet Layers from the Organization dialog.  - I cant seem to find the "Auto Drawing Coordination"

On 2/12/2019 at 2:47 PM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

The Sheet Number/Title fields are not available in the Title Block Manager. However, you could easily change these fields for the Title Block Borders if you have "Auto Drawing Coordination" turned on in Document Preferences and edit the Sheet Layers from the Organization dialog.

Having just had to add a couple of sheets mid-way through a set, I wish changing Sheet Number and Title was available in TBB. That way I could change the number, and then in one click on the arrow at the top right of the window i'm on to editing the next sheet. Now I either have to do it through the organisation window (open window > double click drawing > change number > click ok > repeat) or through going through the sheets (double click title block > select sheet data from drop down > click ok > new window opens > edit number > click ok > move to next sheet and repeat). Editing in the TBB manager would save a lot of steps from either workflow. Wishlist for 2020?

• Like 1
On 12/17/2018 at 11:39 PM, Andy Broomell said:

It would be nice to have control over what fields are displayed, perhaps as another parameter when you click "Manage Project/Sheet Data"? (For reference, see Spotlight Settings<Lighting Device Parameters for how this should function.) This would increase flexibility, and I'm sure CAD managers who set up standards and title blocks for larger workgroups would appreciate better control over the fields. It would also address scenarios like MSLD's.

Mockup:

fields.thumb.jpg.6c1bb062b069b52e2df0607ad69a15f1.jpg

This was implemented in VW2020. 🙂

In general I think Title Block Borders are one of the best improvements in the new version. You can definitely tell the team has been listening to user feedback to create a tool that works well. Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov for your presence on these boards and for the hard work of you and your colleagues!

• Like 4