Vectorworks to PDF file low quality

Jonathan Cludts

Question

Since a couple of weeks I’m using Vectorworks 2019 on a brand new Macbook Pro. Everything went well until I had to print my files. PDF quality is very low. It doesn’t matter if I print or export, neither does it for design or presentation layer. I checked the settings, dpi is 300 (tried 600 and even more than 1000) but the PDF looks like it’s made in Paint.. I’m really helpless! I know it's a vectorworks educational version but it always just worked fine. Look at the difference in this example: 331153880_Schermafbeelding2018-12-15om00_33_54.thumb.png.43ec8edcbb35f055b3e8dccee475ed24.png

e.pdf

9 answers to this question

I think it’s just that the fill patterns are comprised of only black-and-white pixels so they are always going to appear pixelated.

EDIT: There is a ‘Print Patterns at On-Screen Resolution’ setting on the Print dialogue box that may resolve this, try deselecting this option to get the higher printer resolution:

Prints fill patterns at approximately the same size as they appear on the screen at a 100% zoom.
Deselect this option to use the printer resolution, which is usually much higher, making the patterns print much smaller. This prints patterns much faster on Windows, if GDI+ imaging is disabled and you have a non-PostScript printer.

Printing A File

277A2A50-A5FE-4123-9D3E-868B330D514A.gif

Edited by rDesign

You can use the dot patterns 1 to 8.  

There is a PDF export option to Export patters at on-screen resolution.  If my memory serves me correctly the results are okay with the dot patterns if you have that option switched off.  Try it both ways and see what the better result is when you print from the PDF.