Roofs now not visible

Jim Smith

Question

8 answers to this question

Jim,

I think you are being extremely generous calling it bugs.  The roof tool has now gone from extremely inaccurate, unpredictable, non-user friendly and a tool that was very difficult to use for anything other than a very simple design sketch to something which is totally unstable, it continually causes VW to crash, it cannot be rendered, dormer windows don't work - I could go on.

I am getting sick and tired of it being users problems for not being able to use what should be a straightforward tool (and not just the roof tool), a member of my staff was having problems with a file last week and I told him to contact VSS - he was told to send the file, and someone would look at over the next couple of days - I have a business to run, I cannot afford to wait a couple of days as I already know the  .  That is not acceptable - give us a tool that works and does not need 'workarounds' to make it work.  I have spent nearly the whole weekend looking at this file and apart for the continual crashing - on all machines, it doesn't render, it loses it roof style, the dormer function is an absolute joke.

21 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Check distance from internal origin, not user origin, and make sure they are close. Especially in any credit files like surveys. Turn all classes on and select all. Make sure nothing is too far away.

this is usually the problem.

Thanks Allan, but not my first Rodeo. I'm just getting really frustrated with VW acting in a very wacky and arbitrary way from one file to another.  My workflow is going out the window, as I'm forced to have multiple small, non template files in order just to see stuff like walls, roofs windows. I'm burning productive time & having to work on my own time to see client's project through. I'm frankly tempted to go back to working in VW 2014 or 16 as 17, 18, & now 19 are just not ready for primetime. 

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have a problem concerning roof element. Sorry if i am in the wrong thread.  Firstly my model / files are separated by floors and blocks since the project i am working on can consider as huge & i am using VWX2018. What happened is the roof element in its original file sits fine according to stories that i wanted. Once i referenced it into my overall model file the roof element 'z' value will not follow its stories but will appear floating above the building. Any idea where should i look to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Acip79

I'm not using Stories, but the first place I would check would be the Z height of the layer that the roof is on.

Control / right click on the layer, select EDIT ... then check what elevation the layer is set to.  You may need to reduce it to the same as the ground level (if you have manually placed the roof to match in your 3D working view).

Here's an image.

1013669074_ScreenShot2018-12-18at2_58_39PM.thumb.png.93dceed395555856e1522831fc9932e1.png

On 12/14/2018 at 2:04 PM, Jim Smith said:

I've been working in a new VW 2019 file, added a roof object and now the whole thing isn't visible in 3D. I'm quitting for the day & will have to start fresh early on Monday to be ready for the client. 

I don't recall so many bugs in earlier versions of VW. 

Is it just the roof that isn't visible, or is the whole model invisible in 3D?  I've had the latter problem happen.

My workaround ... keep both VW 2018 & 2019 versions active.  When the file breaks in one version, (backsave as necessary and) open it in the other one.

So far that has worked. 

Deleting & making a new roof works; kinda. As this SD I have several interactions of roofs and what also seems to work is having a different Layer for each iteration rather than my preference to assign these to Classes. Having said that, one Roof, not a Roof face but a roof has one element transparent while the other side is opaque. As I say making a new roof seems to make the problem go away, but seriously I don't have time for this. 

Edit: Just glad I've not updated to Mojave yet can't imagine the issued I'd have if I did! Think I'll wait for VW 2020 if I can.

Edited by Jim Smith
6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Deleting & making a new roof works; kinda. As this SD I have several interactions of roofs and what also seems to work is having a different Layer for each iteration rather than my preference to assign these to Classes. Having said that, one Roof, not a Roof face but a roof has one element transparent while the other side is opaque. As I say making a new roof seems to make the problem go away, but seriously I don't have time for this. 

Edit: Just glad I've not updated to Mojave yet can't imagine the issued I'd have if I did! Think I'll wait for VW 2020 if I can.

Hi Jim,

That is what i did. It turns out this issue not happening to roof only but to some of extrusion object as well. Maybe this is a disadvantage in separating model in several files.

😞