Changing plant symbol line thickness

Viper x

If say all the particular type of plant is on one class, say "Trees" and you want to make the tree symbols ( dozens of them) stand out and do it in one action, in comparison to the other plants on the drawing which are a different class can you change the line thickness in the edit classes box to achieve this ?

I have attempted this but can not get it to work, is this the wrong approach and is there a better way ?

Thanks

Viper x

Using 10.5

[ 10-07-2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

You'd have to edit the symbol used for the trees in the RB.

In the Symbols folder is a folder called Plant catalog. YOu can edit the symbol for the trees in here and it will update all the trees using that symbol.

Always read my journey knowing I am a novice. [smile]

I have gone to the symbol in the plant catalog opened it in the 2d edit window and opened the attributes pallette.

Ok so far I think, I can change the fill colour, I can change the fill type, but when I change the line thickness from a narrow 0.03 to a thick 1.02 for instance nothing happens, it shows the line thickness change in the attributes pallette but it does not effect the symbol, I exit edit symbol but still no change of the symbol in the drawing ?

I have read the reference in the users guide and it follows the same steps.

What am I doing wrong please

Viper x on 10.5

[ 10-08-2003, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

This is a printer resolution vs. screen resolution issue. Remember that your line weights are being represented at page (printer) resolution. Printer resolution is usually 4x or greater than screen resolution, so visible changes don't appear as quickly on screen.

I changed it to 1.02 in the edit window (it showed no effect on the line thickness in the window mind you )> exit symbol > then I checked in the drawing with still no change > and I checked the line thickness of the symbol with the attributes pallette in the drawing and it still read 0.03 > so I printed a section which contained the symbols and the lines have not changed thickness even when printed ?

Any other suggestions please ?

Thanks Viper x

Katie

"In VW Preferences, do you have Zoom Line Thickness check marked?"

Yes, and I tried it with and without it checked with no result.

The plant catalog folder.

I have for instance a particular plant symbol which I have used for a number of different plants.

I am highlighting one of the plants say AWS clicking edit > the edit window opens > I am clicking on the symbol in the edit window > I am opening the Attributes pallette and changing the line thickness from 0.03 to 1.20 for maximum effect I am then > clicking on close edit button and returning to the drawing to find nothing has happened.

Whilst in the edit window I can change the colour the fill etc but not the line thickness which is really the important one.

Is this the right steps ?

quote:

Originally posted by Viper x:

The plant catalog folder.

I have for instance a particular plant symbol which I have used for a number of different plants.

I am highlighting one of the plants say AWS clicking edit > the edit window opens > I am clicking on the symbol in the edit window > I am opening the Attributes pallette and changing the line thickness from 0.03 to 1.20 for maximum effect I am then > clicking on close edit button and returning to the drawing to find nothing has happened.

Whilst in the edit window I can change the colour the fill etc but not the line thickness which is really the important one.

Is this the right steps ?

I have attempted to change the line weight in a new document to eliminated problem being a specific file problem but again I can not get the line thickness to change.

1. Am I doing something wrong ?

2. Can the line thickness of a plant symbol actually be changed ?

Thanks Viper x

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

Simply put, the line weights and styles of the lines in the plant are "controlled" by the line weights and styles in the symbol used to make that plant.

I will take that as a yes to my query as to whether line weights can actually be changed.

So that takes us back to the beginning why is it not working for me ?

The symbol I am trying to change is one of the supplied 10.5 vw symbols not something I have created by the way.

Viper x

[ 10-17-2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Viper x ]