Hanging positions with multiple pipes and trim heights

I have a hanging position made up of multiple pipes at multiple trim heights. Creating a hanging position for each pipe would create an overwhelmingly long list; especially in paperwork. I created multiple pipes, set their Z values, selected the pipes and converted them to a hanging position. The problem comes when hanging a light; that the Z value of the light adopts the lowest Z value of the pipes that make up the hanging position. Is there something I missed? Or is this just an oversight? 

Hanging positions containing different height hanging points can be a bit of a struggle and is definitely a time when thinking laterally is the best solution! In the case of say an over-stage bridge or a position with stacked pipes like a ladder, then your best best is to think along the lines of how you might display them in a 2D view on your plot and then use the Create Plot and Model View function to turn the position on an axis for showing in 3D.

What kind of position is it. Could you include a sketch or a photo? Come back with a few more specifics and I or someone else here will no doubt have lots more advice.

This screen shot shows the space, one with catwalks and pipes. Highlighted in the center is one of the hanging positions "Bay 11 - Low", or the lowest pipe in that space between the catwalks. However, the pipe on the right side of the square is about 18" higher than the other three sides; but to the electricians, all four pipes / sides are the "lowest pipe in bay 11". 

Does that make sense? 

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 10.11.44 AM.png

This is a tricky one! I think on balance I would make a different layer for each height or at least Bottom, Middle and Top and then stack each level on top of itself as it is in real life. This would result in each bay having 3 positions. You could of course have just 3 positions, one for each height. It's up to you. 

I would work on each layer in turn. You'd need to switch between layers constantly as you work so I would get very familiar with the shortcuts for doing that. This will mean that you will probably need 3 sheet layers for your layout that shows the bays. You could get creative and add a hatch pattern to the other instruments through multiple stacked sheet layer viewports and class overrides if you like as well but that might make things over complicated.

I did something similar earlier this year in a small theatre in London where I had a multi-level rig.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dipjkzo7s5zpng/AABxzL_LNdkb5axoHRe5sxkVa?dl=0

You can see that I hatched out lights that were on different levels......

• Like 1