Screen Plane In Symbol 3D Component

BenV

Question

Hello All,

Just started using 2019 and feel like I'm stumbling over something obvious.

For many years now, I've used screen plane 2d geometry for the purposes of construction geometry, measurements, etc when modeling 3d elements.

I frequently would do this inside 3d components of symbols, and then delete out all the 2d geometry when done working. If I had forgotten to delete a line, there was a prompt warning me that all my screen plane geometry would get sent to the 2d component (or something along those lines).

In 2019, as soon as I draw something in screen plane, the object gets moved to the 2d component, and I do not have a chance to interact/use it when editing a 3d component. This is not helpful and certainly not the behavior I'm used to seeing.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Ben

4 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Same experience here. I really dislike it.

Not sure if that was intentional for 2019, or just a side affect of the new components features.

Regardless, I hope they're able to return it to how it previously worked, where objects wouldn't be "moved" to their proper component until you exit the symbol edit mode.

I dislike it too. Its been a problem for a few versions but now its worse than ever. Related to this wishlist item where I specifically mention it -

and this wishlist item -

which has a lot of votes and there's been no improvement on. In fact its worse. I'm pretty sure no one at NV uses 2d objects as guidelines for drawing 3d object, which is where the problem shows up most. Unfortunately a lot of traditionally trained people use 2d object guidelines because it relates to a hand drawn workflow.

I think @Matt Panzer is probably the person to ask about this.

Kevin

• Like 2

Hey, thanks all you guys for the highly intelligent (if somewhat unsatisfying) answers!

@Kevin McAllister what is the alternative workflow to what we are discussing? Surely all 3d elements start out life as 2d profiles. I cannot even draw a profile in 2d screen plane and then extrude while editing a 3d symbol component now. Of course this is only one example of why drawing in screen plane is useful, both when editing 3d components or otherwise.

@Rob Books so how have you adjusted your workflow? By going into 'Edit 2D' and selecting 'Show 3D' as you have described?

Bummer. 😢