Lighting Instrument focusing

Suni

Question

Hi

I can't really understand why it is not possible to focus a light without implementing a specific focuspoint.

It seems super obvious that one should be able to choose a single or multiple instruments and simply write 45 dgr tilt or pan. In a similar way to how the 3D orientation works now, but only functioning on the yoke.

Unless one is working with the specific purpose of making accurate visualisations, making a focus point for almost every single lighting instrument is an enormous ekstra workload and even produces a worse end-product, when creating the paperwork, when most people want every instrument to line up in nice and clean 0, 30 or 45 degree angles.

I may be wrong, and this funktion somehow already has existed for years without me finding it... as it should, because this seems to me to be the most obvious feature that one would need when drafting lighting plots.

8 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Suni said:

Hi

I can't really understand why it is not possible to focus a light without implementing a specific focuspoint.

It seems super obvious that one should be able to choose a single or multiple instruments and simply write 45 dgr tilt or pan. In a similar way to how the 3D orientation works now, but only functioning on the yoke.

Unless one is working with the specific purpose of making accurate visualisations, making a focus point for almost every single lighting instrument is an enormous ekstra workload and even produces a worse end-product, when creating the paperwork, when most people want every instrument to line up in nice and clean 0, 30 or 45 degree angles.

I may be wrong, and this funktion somehow already has existed for years without me finding it... as it should, because this seems to me to be the most obvious feature that one would need when drafting lighting plots.

Are you speaking about the 2D or 3D representation? in 2D it is a trivial task to select fixtures singly or globally, then rotate them in the OIP in the Rotation Field to whatever degree you wish for PAN, as tilt is not visualized in 2D.

3D is another story altogether…

17 minutes ago, mjm said:

Are you speaking about the 2D or 3D representation? in 2D it is a trivial task to select fixtures singly or globally, then rotate them in the OIP in the Rotation Field to whatever degree you wish for PAN, as tilt is not visualized in 2D.

3D is another story altogether…

My top views are in 2D and that is all fine, but then there are all my viewports with side view or isometric, where the hole fokuspoint thing is a giant pain in the backside.

Just making a system with side towers where I need every fixture to be in a perfect 90 dgr tilt, that is very very frustrating to do.