Renderworks - Geometry not updating

MikeB

So I started this post on in September of 2016, the thread was recently closed but this issues is not resolved

VW2019 SP2, both window and mac.  After initially using either final renderworks mode or the Realistic Exterior Renderworks style, subsequent updates to the geometry, either through editing geometry, adding geometry, deleting geometry, or simply by turning on or off existing layers, will not render in subsequent use of the renderworks engine.  the subsequent renderings go through the process, and you can see in the indirect lighting stage of the rendering that the changed geometry is not being considered by the rendering engine.  Somehow VW is retaining the old geometry and using that for the renderworks renderings.

Only fix is to save the file, quit and restart VW, but any further geometry changes again require a restart to render correctly after the first renderworks rendering is done after restart.

Very frustrating and a big waste of time.

26 minutes ago, MikeB said:

So I started this post on in September of 2016, the thread was recently closed but this issues is not resolved

VW2019 SP2, both window and mac.  After initially using either final renderworks mode or the Realistic Exterior Renderworks style, subsequent updates to the geometry, either through editing geometry, adding geometry, deleting geometry, or simply by turning on or off existing layers, will not render in subsequent use of the renderworks engine.  the subsequent renderings go through the process, and you can see in the indirect lighting stage of the rendering that the changed geometry is not being considered by the rendering engine.  Somehow VW is retaining the old geometry and using that for the renderworks renderings.

Only fix is to save the file, quit and restart VW, but any further geometry changes again require a restart to render correctly after the first renderworks rendering is done after restart.

Very frustrating and a big waste of time.

Hi @MikeB, the issue you are describing here is different than viewports turning black. Could you DM me your bug file or buglist the issue? (I'm not sure how users file bugs, though, perhaps through Jim?)

Just now, MikeB said:

I guess my original thread got hijacked by the view-ports turning black issue.

Hahah honestly, who knows? It started to become a 'report every problem with RW' thread which got very confusing. 😄 

You can send your file to me through the DM and I'll file a bug&look for a fix.

This just happened to me in 2019 SP2.

Rendered in the Design Layer, changed some things (textures), rendered in Design Layer again and changes were not reflected. Moved view around, and changes still not reflected.

Restarting fixed it.

Also, when I closed Vectorworks, I got a pop-up saying VW crashed, even though I closed it manually...

• 4 weeks later...

Nope. The years long issue is not resolved. The same is happening to me.

It's infuriating to have to keep closing VWX & open it again.

Vectorworks Inc. Can you see that the LHS column is missing in the final quality render? It's visible in the OpenGL mode.

It's like it cannot clear it's render cache.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 10.16.36.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 10.14.47.png

Edited by ConcourseDM

Just to confirm my hardware spec so that Vectorworks tech can sort this out.

VW2019 SP2 (Build 463397)

MackBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4

Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MN

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

MacOS High Sierra v.10.13.6

Over to you now Vectorworks Inc. Please help as this is really slowing down our workflow.

Cheers, Terry

Edited by ConcourseDM
quoting from a company not personal POV
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, ConcourseDM said:

Over to you now Vectorworks Inc. Please help as this is really slowing down our workflow.

This issue was already submitted to tech@vectorworks.net directly, or to your distributor? The forum is mainly for user interaction, it is not a formal support channel.

re: model geometry not updating for rendtrworks. 

The problem I had occurred in a small file but I had 3 other VW files open at the same time, one being 600MB. After closing all files and restarting VW and only having one file open the problem went away. The problem could occur when multiple files are open or perhaps, with one large file? With just the one 600MB file open, renderworks was OK.

Henry

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am having a very similar issue. OpenGL shows all geometries but when other render selection is changed VW seems to decide what I can/not see... First noticed with 3d Poly trees, where it will be solid in OpenGL but the fill is automatically removed for final quality. 

@nlov, This sounds like it might be a different issue. If only the fill is absent, but the Wireframe is present, then it sounds like your Renderworks module might not be behaving normally. More specifics and context would be useful. If you're using the current version of Vectorworks I suggest you contact your local distributor about this for free, targeted technical support. To help others forum members contribute to you and to help users determine if their issue or symptoms relate to yours, can you please include: 

• Vectorworks version and Service Pack. 
  • Computer platform and specs. - Many users add this to their forum signature (see mine) so as to provide at least some context. 
  • The files concerned (or a test file) saved with the condition in-view. 

Most importantly, if the symptoms are different or the issue proves to be, please create a seperate discussion so this discussion can remain focussed on the original poster's topic. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been posting about renderworks “caching” for several years now. It’s never been a reproducible problem that I am aware of, but simply shows up from time to time. The symptoms are updating geometry that works just fine in wireframe and OpenGL but reverts to a previous iteration in Renderworks. The solution is to restart. 

While I can’t say the problem has been rectified in 2020, I can say, I’ve not seen it since upgrading. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I had this issue for years, and recently updated to VW2021. Unforntutely the issue remains a problem for me, and now worse in some respects. In previous versions the issue was resolved by closing VW and restarting, but now it seems that won't help (I've tested a few different files). Wireframe it is ok, Open GL also ok, but when using Renderworks Exterior Mode it shifts the geometry of some of the extrudes (to the position they used to be) and now I can't get around it by restarting VW like I used to. See screen shots below where there is a gap in Renderworks mode that doesn't exist in wireframe or Open GL. Now I have to rebuild the blocks to get around it.

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 11.52.24.png

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 11.52.41.png

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 11.54.24.png

• Like 1

I've had detailed conversations the last few weeks with my local reseller on this... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djya1rq4480fpmd/Video 13-10-20%2C 9 43 18 am.mov?dl=0

After much back & forth, including investigation of hardware including running a "Cinebench tool" to test my CPU capacity (for which i've been told "You certainly got a very high score")  ..

The answer I am once again told is that an update to VW2021 will fix it... 

While I wasn't holding my breath - VW2017, VW2018, VW2019 ( I still paid my annual fee but skipped the 2020 update because why bother ) it's f*@king disappointing to hear it's still happening... 

If it's more problematic than before ... I'm not gonna be happy a camper...

I'm a Mac user... I'm wondering what other Operating Systems others are running.. Is this exclusively Mac or a Windows issue too?  

1602632582051.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 12:14 AM, Gustav Ader said:

Wireframe it is ok, Open GL also ok, but when using Renderworks Exterior Mode it shifts the geometry of some of the extrudes (to the position they used to be) and now I can't get around it by restarting VW like I used to. See screen shots below where there is a gap in Renderworks mode that doesn't exist in wireframe or Open GL.

Hi Gustav, I'm curious that this issue has been so consistent and persistent for your throughout these versions and in particular, that it persists in current software when I haven't seen instances of this for a long time. There is a seperate bug I verified and submitted where image fills appear offset in Renderworks mode, but fine in OpenGL. From the way you've worded your comment it doesn't sound like it applies to your instances (but it's worth mentioning it here nonetheless.

So; I'm keen to get a copy of the file you demo'd above (or one just like it) so I can test it on my Mac and Windows computers. Can you please upload that here? (Or direct message me with it?) 

I would also like to know: 

• Are you using a Workspace file migrated from a prior version? 
  • Have you tried the Resetting Vectorworks Preferences process? If so, was there any improvement? - If there was but it was temporary, please share those details too. 

You might try creating a viewport for what you are wanting to render in Final QualityRW or Custom RW and see if that situation no longer occurs.

Just a thought. Personally, I rarely use Final Quality, but rather Custom RW for all of my stuff. I often create a duplicate viewport on a sheet layer..one using custom RW and one in open GL.  The open GL version to just test the lighting, etc, because it is fast.  Then I pull the trigger on rendering the custom RW viewport.

Anyway....perhaps try creating a viewport on a sheet layer to see if you get the whacky results you were experiencing when rendering on the design layer.