Symbol Rollover / Mouseover question

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking for a while now if it is possible to have an image appear when the mouse is on a symbol. The end goal is to have a photo of the actual item on a floor plan that has been exported to a pdf. I haven't been able to see if that is possible in vectorworks for the time being. Any help getting me on track is much appreciated, thanks!

12 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

How are you envisioning creating the links between the objects and the photos

I think the answer hangs on Pat's question and to what end the result you need. If you want to use roll-over as described, then..

On 12/11/2018 at 2:58 PM, Robert Anderson said:

This is not currently possible

However, if you want to create simple interactive annotation within VW, or pdf's for clients to use themselves you could use VW built-in Hyperlink Tool from the Dims/Notes toolset. This will allow you to add links for simple operations (within the document) like navigation ('next', 'previous', 'details here'...etc), together with external links to manufacturers product information webpages. I'll warn you though - don't set your expectations too high. The hyperlink tool could be a lot better.

For a more robust presentation and depending on your objective, I think I would steer you towards preparing design pdfs exported to (say) Powerpoint and add the required 'hot spots' to allow your additional information (internal/external) links. I've created more intensive presentations using FileMaker Pro. These allow me to add the 'hot spots' to link to external webpages/pricing info/'pop up' items/ etc. and then distribute 'kiosk mode' to clients as part of our pitch assets.

Hope this might help.

Edited by Gadzooks
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Gadzooks said:

you could use VW built-in Hyperlink Tool from the Dims/Notes toolset

This is a good suggestion. I got caught up in the "pointing to / hovering" workflow. Easy enough to do with Dropbox or any web-enabled storage. Thanks for the suggestion!