Viewports turn black in 2018

MHBrown

Question

The thread where I asked the original question was closed, but the problem has not been solved as far as I know. I'm sure that if one opens a pure VW2019 file that the black viewport rendering will not occur. But what about a file created in VW2018 or even VW2017? If VW insists on yearly major updates, the unintended consequence of letting the calendar (and not readiness) dictate major releases is the requirement that the update work with at least two older versions. This isn't because users are not updating---it's easy with a subscription--- but because sometimes projects will stretch across two years. There is no way that I know of to copy and paste the model, viewports, section views, elevation views, camera views, and more into a pristine file. Or is there?

Thanks,

MHBrown

2 answers to this question

No, I'm getting the problem in VW2018 with a file that was started in VW2017. I'm also getting what seem to be video card problems, which may be related to the OpenGL issues where the rendered image jumps around. Often, in wireframe, parts of the image will disappear to where a screen refresh does not bring it back. See attachment of system specs. Perhaps I don't have enough RAM or too small a video card?

But my real question is this: is there a way to migrate an old file into a new document so that all the fixes work? This should be a major requirement that would have been discussed as part of the program of changing major updates from 18 months to 12.  So, is there a way? I tried copy and paste but I could not use my elevations nor my viewports.

Thanks,

MHBrown

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 4.04.12 PM.png