When solids go bad

line-weight

Question

This is something that just seems to happen to solids once you do too many subtractions/additions and other modifications to them: they start to behave strangely, for example refusing to respond to the push-pull tool.

I've attached one where this has just happened. For example, the push pull tool won't move any of the faces in the T-shaped notch that faces the camera when you open the file.

Is there any way of repairing solids when this happens? Or do I just have to start all over again?

I've tried converting to generic solid, convert to group, intersecting it with a solid block larger than itself but with no luck. C&Ping to a fresh file also doesn't help.

solid.vwx

Edited by line-weight

5 answers to this question

Yes, it gets risky of you produce larger and larger history by nesting operation

over operation. I try to avoid that and use only 1 step in history.

after every previous step I will reduce my parametric Solids into Generic Solids.

You will lose the history and parametric edit ability but Generic Solids are save(r)

And you can do the same as you would do in a non history based, destructive

Modeler, create back up copies of different stages on Backup Classes and Layers.

In case you need to go back to change things.

It depends on where parametric edit ability is needed with priority and what could

be done by destructive tools like Push pull too.

There is just one Push Pull Mode that does not work destructive but creates

history based Solid Additions or Subtractions with every step.

That can get easily problematic if you aren't aware of.

I usually work in the destructive middle Mode which will just directly manipulate

the Solid an keeps it as Generic Solid.

• Like 1

Yeah, I normally try and keep the number of operations to a minimum but sometimes it's difficult to get what you want that way.

Didn't know that about the different push-pull modes.

If you reckon converting-to-generic-solid frequently helps, then I'll try that. It's something I already do but only every few steps and have always wondered if it's just superstition.

Conversion to Generic Solids doesn't help in any case either.

Sometimes you will manage to convert a broken Mesh into a Solid,

but that kind of Solid will still not behave like it looks and will reject

some Tool's Operations.

That is why I keep a bit of an eye to convert to Solids pretty often, as

long as in a state that looks like a healthy input for a Solid generation.

4 hours ago, line-weight said:

This is something that just seems to happen to solids once you do too many subtractions/additions and other modifications to them: they start to behave strangely, for example refusing to respond to the push-pull tool.

I've attached one where this has just happened. For example, the push pull tool won't move any of the faces in the T-shaped notch that faces the camera when you open the file.

Is there any way of repairing solids when this happens? Or do I just have to start all over again?

I've tried converting to generic solid, convert to group, intersecting it with a solid block larger than itself but with no luck. C&Ping to a fresh file also doesn't help.

solid.vwx

Select the model, convert to NURBS (Command Option N), ungroup, and use Model>3d Power Pack>Stitch and Trim Surfaces. You'll get three solids. The problem pieces are actually on the other side of the model. The Push/Pull tool will work fine afterwards.

Kevin

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Select the model, convert to NURBS (Command Option N), ungroup, and use Model>3d Power Pack>Stitch and Trim Surfaces. You'll get three solids. The problem pieces are actually on the other side of the model. The Push/Pull tool will work fine afterwards.

Kevin

That's great, thanks. It did indeed work.

Very useful to remember for the future.

• Like 1