Shared Project Files Automatically Converts to 2019

Liene Cikanovica

Question

There is an issue with v2018 Project Files (.vwxp), when someone by accident opens it in 2019, it without warning converts the .vwxp file to v2019 even all the following dialogs have been canceled. It doesn't save a copy of the new version it changes the original .vwxp file. In a result it looses all the other connections to local files on other machines; and uncommitted changes are lost. Plus the conversion brings in all the glitches.

There is no problem opening .vwx file as it pops up dialog box. 

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Liene Cikanovica just to confirm, are you saying that you choose "Cancel" in the first dialog that appears (when you open the file in 2019), and VW still converts it to 2019 format? I'm not seeing this on my end so I just wanted to be sure I understand the issue. 

When the conversion occurs the 2018 file should get placed in its own folder (in the same directory as the original file) named "Old Version Vectorworks Files", so that you still have access to it. Are you not seeing the 2018 file get moved to this folder?

Thank you Tim for clearing it out for me!

Now I look at it and it works out like you say. I didn't notice the folder "Old Version Vectorworks Files" was made after the conversion.

I have to make sure everyone read messages before hitting "OK".

I just tried it out, and the original .vwxp file in that folder still can be reconnected with local files, its good news. 

Thank you!