Custom Kitchen Cabinets

Hello forum, I'm a complete newbie with VW Architect 2019. I'm trying to use the furn/fixtures tools, base cabinets, custom cabinets etc. I'm not quite getting the customisation I need. In the base cabinets tool I'd like to eliminate the stile around the perimeter, screenshot attached, red circled is VW base unit, blue circled is cabinet I have drawn up. How customisable are the cabinets ? Is there any online support/tutorial showing how to fully customise these objects ? Second question is, if we have to create our own cabinets, can we make our own library which is in the VW resource files ? 

ps, I'm aware of InteriorCad for cabinets, our budget has been totally spent recently, 3 new workstations, 3 VW Architect 2019 licenses and various other accessories ☺️

Cabinets in VW.PNG

32 minutes ago, milezee said:

How customisable are the cabinets

Regretfully, VW has a cabinet tool that gets you part way there (like a lot of the VW tools its the last part that proves annoying). Thats why there's been an opportunity for InteriorCad to step in. I can't speak for their software, but others are pleased with it.

You seem to be doing a reasonable job of adjusting things to suit your requirements.

32 minutes ago, milezee said:

if we have to create our own cabinets, can we make our own library which is in the VW resource files

Of course - that is one of the most powerful attributes - creating your own libraries. Start work with a set of the most used cabinets drawn by yourself (lets face it, cabinets use many standard parts, its easy to very swiftly create a 'Standard Set' covering most often used layouts and then when there a need for a 'special' you can create and add to the Resource Manager for future use.

Tip - Have a look on the web for kitchen parts heres one for IKEA

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/?q=ikea kitchen metod

and the collections..

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/?q=ikea kitchen metod&searchTab=collection

Edited by Gadzooks
8 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

Of course - that is one of the most powerful attributes - creating your own libraries

@Gadzooks thanks for chipping in. Yes it seems the cabinet tools is not as versatile as it should be. Anyway, I have no problems drawing my own and creating a library of content. So, how do I go about adding them to the resources library ? And can we make them parametric, i.e, if I adjust the width of the unit, the sides remain at 18mm thickness ? Can we add information to them which can extracted onto a worksheet as a bill of quantities etc ? tia 

15 minutes ago, milezee said:

So, how do I go about adding them to the resources library

(Just a suggestion  - You'll start to arrange things to suit your workflow later I'm sure) 

Create a drawing 'KitchenUnits'. Create and set out the individual units (as symbols) as and when you need them. Some organisation of these items in the file will help as a reference when you need to open the file directly (basically, don't just create the units and leave them in a heap on the design layer - spread them out (columns/rows?) and give them each a label). This file can then be directly 'seen' by Resource Manager without opening.

You will need to place these sorts of drawings as a 'Workgroup Resource' so everyone can use them  - Prob best to look that up and take advice about organising for the workgroup.

(With the above accomplished) The individual resources (carcasses/plinths etc..) can now be selected and placed into your new design layouts. As an option (e.g.. with the IKEA types above) you could have the door colours change by 'classing' the colour options and choosing visibilities for presentation.

26 minutes ago, milezee said:

And can we make them parametric

Harder - and why would you want to? Picking from a limited number of standard options isn't too dificult. 

30 minutes ago, milezee said:

Can we add information to them which can extracted onto a worksheet as a bill of quantities etc

Of course. VW worksheets can be designed to pick up your data and list as a schedule with all types of information (costs, areas, materials etc..) Just be sure to create that info as you go, so plan the information you'll need to report and make sure its attached to each of the individual parts as you draw them. Going back over things is a real chore!!

@Gadzooks 

31 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

Harder - and why would you want to? Picking from a limited number of standard options isn't too dificult. 

yeh you're probably right, will just start to create a library of the types of cabinets we use

so would you suggest that I draw up the carcass units first, group together and make as a symbol, and then place doors, drawer fronts after, and make as a different symbol (we often have carcass one colour/finish, and doors a different finish). Or is it possible to draw as one group and assign different textures/colours to carcass and doors ? I know I can create and assign classes for different objects. 

As you can tell I really am starting from the bottom stumbling my way round at the moment 😅

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it 🍻

7 minutes ago, milezee said:

🍻

Thats the only part of your post I saw! 

8 minutes ago, milezee said:

you're probably right

Its your call, so use what you can of others suggestions - bin as appropriate!

11 minutes ago, milezee said:

is it possible to draw as one group and assign different textures/colours to carcass and doors

Yes - but whatever suits your planned workflow. Probably better (in my view) to keep things together and class them down to the last bracket - if you are confident you and your colleagues can manage the visibilities. Symbols can be used within symbols if you wish

• Like 2

You misunderstand

• The file you've downloaded is rubbish. It doesn't look like IKEA product and is composed of 3D objects without thickness. Yeh - bin in it and find better quality stuff if you want to start with existing assets.
  • The door Ive shown you above is a single door from a file I downloaded ages ago. It has better detail and correct spec parts. They are out there if you look.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

Thats the only part of your post I saw! 

Its your call, so use what you can of others suggestions - bin as appropriate!

Yes - but whatever suits your planned workflow. Probably better (in my view) to keep things together and class them down to the last bracket - if you are confident you and your colleagues can manage the visibilities. Symbols can be used within symbols if you wish

I could not agree with Gadzooks more. I would suggest a "Class Policy" document visible on the resources drawing you would be creating, so your team understand the what/why of the classing structures.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

The custom cabinet tool is pretty useless for me. Very limited on what it can do. Very incomplete. 

Maybe, I'm missing something. How do you even define a stile and rail shaker door? Never mind that a shaker door often has a larger bottom rail. 

I have a large customized hybrid symbol library but it always takes much too much time to add the many custom cabinets I require for each project. 

I need to review InteriorCad again. A number of years ago it seemed like too much work to the level I need which is not for cabinet shop CDs.