3D Urban Model too slow

chrispolo

Question

I've been workin on this model from a while, and it's been difficult since the beginning with constant freeze and crash of the program, I'm actually using VW 2019 SP 2 in windows 10 Lenovo Y50-70 with i7 processor and 960M Nvidia graphics.

My problem is that rendering the model to Unshaded Polygon and then export a viewport is taking forever and eventually the program get freeze, I'm using 150 DPI for the sheet layer.
Somebody please help me I have no idea what is the problem, the 3D model has multiple extrudes but I expect my laptop can work it.

3D SLOW.jpeg

10 answers to this question

Of course, here it is, I've noted that before creating the viewport and rendering it the file was only 20 MB and after it goes up to 285 MB.. I'm sending it without the viewport

Note: the 3D was originally created in Revit and exported as IFC then I converted the IFC objects to extrudes for a better work in Vectorworks.

Edited by chrispolo
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The file size will increase after you render a viewport if File > Document Settings > Document Preferences > Display > Save Viewport Cache is enabled. This setting means you don't have to rerender the viewport every time you open the file, but the cached high dpi image can increase filesize significantly.

Taking a closer look now.

• Love 1

There may not be much that can be done here. This is definitely a file that will require powerful hardware, but it looks like these objects were imported. Do you know where they came from originally?

I had thought this was very slow for only having around 8000 objects, but they aren't all extrudes, the stadium for instance is an imported mesh that has 8000 polys on it's own. For the actual number of polys in this file, this is the speed I would expect from it. Rendering in Final Shaded polys, or Shaded Polys, will definitely be slow, those render modes are some of the oldest in Vectorworks and have not been optimized for some time. You can often get a similar look in OpenGL or Renderworks that will complete faster, what style are you looking to get? Image examples would be welcome.

Originally I created the file in Revit some object like the stadium was imported from Sketchup, I think that I probably should have to remodel the stadium converting it into a solid..

I wanted to use unshaded because I need to do different graphics maintaining the objects attribute, and a climate analysis based on this model too.

Here I sen´t some examples.

imagepin.jpg

ip6.jpg

c78413f1f6245088316b545b81082f15.jpg

0b2d19e44b4173bb9b1fedd34d136428.jpg

29774ea0e41162fbf3e2963f682a5f29.jpg

Please Help!!

I've updated the model converting the meshes into solid so the model have less polygons, I converted the trees into symbols but the model still running slow when I turn on the trees class.

The program freeze and then simply close itself sometimes even working in the model it close itself.

I don't know what to do any advice on how to work with this model?

Edited by chrispolo
Just now, chrispolo said:

@Jim Wilson Please help 😥 

If it is still slow on your hardware, you will likely need to reduce how much of the model you are working with, or use superior hardware. Unfortunately the model was filled with so many complex imported polys and meshes that nothing else can be done to speed it up significantly other than by redrafting the heavier objects.