khumenny

Heliodon shadows not working

Question

Has anyone had any issues with shadows not working in 2019?
I had no trouble in 2018 but now I can't seem to get shadows in open GL or in rendered viewports.

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 10.48.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 10.49.49 AM.png

6 answers to this question

Do you only have the one heliodon, and no other light objects enabled in that document? OpenGL has a max of 8, is the only reason i mention this, so if you had internal lights they could be taking up those slots, this wont happen in Renderworks though.

Do Heliodon shadows work in a new test file with just some extrudes and that same heliodon copied into it? 

I have seen this, but only temporarily. Try this: change Render Mode to one of the Renderworks Modes (Realistic Exterior eg); let it do its thing; then change back to Open GL. Sometimes even changing to Hidden Line and then back works to 'force' VW's to completely re-render in Open GL. Also, I have seen a couple instances where a view change (via Flyover Tool eg) will suffice. If all this fails, you may need to Quit and Restart VW's... 

Thanks Jim, I don't have any other light objects.
It does work in a new file, yes. I've purged and checked the existing problem file and still have no shadows.

We have had this issue a few times. Deleting the Heliodon and inserting a new one fixed it.

Thanks Cipes, I tried all those without success.

BG, you're the winner, though just re-inserting it didn't work... I had to insert a second heliodon and that re-set something once there were two. I did insert it in 3D view open GL while all the others were inserted in plan. Not sure if that had something to do with it.

Thanks All!

Glad it's working as expected now. Software can be fussy, right? There is an old quote (can't recall who said it), "Don't anthropomorphize your car. They hate it when you do that." 

• Like 2