Delete all annotations in selected viewports

NicoleD

Question

Is there a command to be able to delete all annotations from all viewports on a page, or from all viewports selected? I tend to duplicate sheet layers but then have to go back and delete dimensions and callouts from each viewport one by one. It would be very helpful and a time saver to be able to do it all at once.

13 answers to this question

• Marionette Maven

@NicoleD

I wrote a Python script that will delete all objects from the annotations group of selected VPs. This script will also only work on the active Layer (either sheet or design, though DLVPs do not have an annotation group).

The script is undoable in case you make a mistake, but it is always recommended to test this in a copy file.

The script is located in Palette-1.

DeleteAnnoObjs.vwx

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Marissa Farrell said:

@NicoleD

I wrote a Python script that will delete all objects from the annotations group of selected VPs. This script will also only work on the active Layer (either sheet or design).

The script is undoable in case you make a mistake, but it is always recommended to test this in a copy file.

The script is located in Palette-1.

DeleteAnnoObjs.vwx

This is really cool. I'd be curious to know how I could modify it to omit certain objects (delete everything except the drawing labels for example).

Kevin

• Marionette Maven

The following script will leave out Drawing Labels if they only have the default records added to them, which is how they are inserted by default. Extra logic would need to be added in order to check if multiple records are attached to the drawing labels.

#Created by MFarrell 12/05/18
#Modified to exclude Drawing Labels

#collect handles of selected VPs on active layer
def GetHandle(h):
	if vs.GetTypeN(h) == 122:
		if vs.GetParent(h) == vs.ActLayer():
			hVP.append(h)

hVP = []
vs.ForEachObject( GetHandle, '(Sel = True)' )

#Traverse into the annotations group of selected VPs and delete all objects aside from Default DLs
for VP in hVP:
	anno = vs.GetVPGroup(VP, 2)
	h = vs.FInGroup(anno)
	objs = [h]
	h = vs.NextObj(h)
	while h != vs.Handle(0):
		#recs = vs.NumRecords(h)
		if str(vs.GetName(vs.GetRecord(h, 1))) != 'Drawing Label':
			objs.append(h)
		h = vs.NextObj(h)
	for obj in objs:
		vs.DelObject(obj)

• Like 2
On 12/5/2018 at 11:40 AM, Marissa Farrell said:

The following script will leave out Drawing Labels if they only have the default records added to them, which is how they are inserted by default. Extra logic would need to be added in order to check if multiple records are attached to the drawing labels.

Marissa:

I understand why you collected the handles of the Viewports before processing the actions but I was wondering why you collected the handles of the drawing labels before not deleting them.  Would it be more efficient code to delete objects as you detect them?

Edited by The Hamma