Data Tag - Not displaying data from record

Sam House

Question

Hello, 

Working on a project file with 5 others. On just opening  the file, a set of my data tags are not showing the record data despite it being there. If I delete and reapply the data tag It shows up no problem. Have tried restarting vectorworks but still the same. 
Is there any way to fix this without deleting the tags and reapplying them manually? or is it a known issue?

To my knowledge no one has editted the tags for over a week so don't believe it's user error. 

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

17 answers to this question

Hi,

It might be worth checking if the tag your using has the correct tag fields assigned to them to pull that record data. 

Resource manager> Right click (Your Selected Data tag)> Select Edit > "Edit Tag Layout" ( At bottom) > Select the Text > (On Shape Tab) Select "Define Tag Field" at bottom

From this check that the calculated field is showing the correct record you want. 

If this still persists it may be worth following above and make a new Data tag just incase by duplicating what you have to keep your existing data tag layout. 

Hope this helps

Hi, 

Yep, tried Redefining the tag with the exact method you described, but had no effect. However if I deleted an instance of a tag and then reapplied the tag to that same object it would display as expected . 

I also tried redefining the text to a new filed in the same record, restarting Vectorworks, but it had the same issue, and likewise if I deleted the instance of the tag and reapplied the same tag to the object it would behave as expected while the other old tags still in the file (of the same style) were not displaying as expected.  

Hope that makes sense, I've said tag too many times, 

S

I've essentially done the most boring bit now anyway, as all the tags were classed up neatly, I just select all. delete those instances, and then just retag all objects which hold that record, and then spend about half an hour fiddling round. It's more the potential for it to be considerably more boring in other circumstances that worries me and the not knowing whyy. 

Sam

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Sam,

I am Kostadin Ivanov and I am one of data tag developers. What I understood is your data tags are not linked to object(s) anymore. Could you send me a test file and I will analyze it. Also it will be useful, if you can describe how you were able to unlink the data tag(s). 

If your data tags are unlink, you can relink with control points of data tag.

Best Regards,

Kostadin Ivanov

Hello Kostadin,  

Will message you sepetately about sending the file, though I sent it to uk tech support last night. 

I didn't do anything specific to make them unlink. No one has touched them for about a week, they just seem to have unlinked at some point in the last couple of days of normal project use.

Sam 

7 hours ago, Sam House said:

Hello Kostadin,  

Will message you sepetately about sending the file, though I sent it to uk tech support last night. 

I didn't do anything specific to make them unlink. No one has touched them for about a week, they just seem to have unlinked at some point in the last couple of days of normal project use.

Sam 

You never mentioned your Data Tags were showing the ! triangle (see below) so I assumed they were still linked but not showing the appropriate data. Were they showing the ! triangle? If they were, you should be able to just grab the control point in the triangle and drag it to your object to relink it.

Kevin

101599382_ScreenShot2018-12-05at7_30_56AM.thumb.png.ac142f6308b2eedf1d0e67d5613f8981.png

Just now, Kevin McAllister said:

FYI there is also a mode to tag all eligible objects at the same time (the third mode of the Data Tag tool...

Yes which was very helpful. except due to the .. slightly shonky way I've  done my tags I need 4 to do various door configurations, but hadn't classed the doors and tags per type as I didn't think this issue would come up. So there was some messing around but have now just reclassed everything so that if it happens again It's much quicker to fix. 

Thanks for all your help!