mapping a decal onto 4 plasma screens

Phil hunt

I have in my model 4 screens 60inch in a line on a curved wall and want to map an image over all of the screens...a stretched image, not the same image on each of each screen....i apply the image and then try and use the resize mapping tool to enlarge the image but it will not go outside the perimeter of the one screen....the way i have overcome this at the moment is to divide the image into 4 as separate files in photoshop and then made 4 image props to the size each of the 60inch screens.....is this the way things usually work in this situation or am i doing something wrong.....ps each screen face is the same class with the same material mapped 

thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Phil

Are these parametric screen? If so, I don't think you can do it.

But there is another way:

If you create each screen shape as a 2D rectangle, then select them all, and extrude them in one operation, this will create an object that can receive a single texture.

(Once they are extruded, you can use the Bend mode of the Deform tool to create the curve).

Hope that helps.

3 hours ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

Are these parametric screen? If so, I don't think you can do it.

Definitely possible with the TV tool. I've attached an example. Scale your image to 400% under Edit Screen Image and then shift it the necessary percent for each screen (0, -100, -200, -300) for each screen. I just used the stock screen image so its not formatted to fit vertically. This method is very quick and easy especially if you set your image for one TV and then duplicate it to create the others.

2 hours ago, Phil hunt said:

i have never used the tv tool i don't think it comes in my package

^ You could  purchase it directly from Landru Design. There's has a few extra features, their plugins are very reasonable and they have great technical support.

Kevin

1737405467_ScreenShot2018-12-02at7_42_16AM.thumb.png.46f6bd57a97dbb7dc7ac64eca27dd2bd.png

Curved Tile Screen.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Corrected offset percentages, should have been minus.
  • Love 1

Phil (and all) -

Answers to some of the questions posed, here:

1)  Tiling like you're wanting is definitely doable with VS4-Television (and, the Spotlight Television tool).  But...you have to do it "manually" or use a rudimentary command I created for that purpose in my day-to-day work.  While that command is not included as part of the stock Producer's Pack 3 or VideoScreen 4 suites, I do share it upon special-request from license-holders of our tools.  The tool has its limits (same-size panels/surfaces, even spacing, PIO instances facing "down-screen," etc.) but does save a TON of time when tiling screens.

2)  The current releases of all of our tools work in any "flavor" of Vectorworks, 2014 or newer - whether a Spotlight installation or not.

3)  See the links in my sig. for pricing.  You can buy licenses for the individual sets of tools or for the "kitchen-sink" collection, Producer's Pack 3.

I hope this helps you out.

• Like 2