Question

Why can't you import SketchUp 2018 files in VW2019? SketchUp has had 2018 out for long enough that this should have been included.

image.thumb.png.3338eece5ef19252e67dca30d11ee5c2.png

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

Agreed — SketchUp 2018 was released in November 2017, which should have been enough time to get this into Vw2019.

The Vw2019 Help File says it imports SketchUp version 4 through 2017, so if you have access to SketchUp 2018 you can ‘Save As...’ the 2018 SKP file down to 2017 SKP (or older).

Edited by rDesign

On 12/1/2018 at 9:28 AM, rDesign said:

it imports SketchUp version 4 through 2017, so if you have access to SketchUp 2018 you can ‘Save As...’ the 2018 SKP file down to 2017 SKP (or older)

Exactly like VW2018...unfortunately, if you don't have access to SketchUp 2018, this isn't an option, which is the whole point.

• Like 1

@ericjhberg - I agreed with your OP and I already up-voted it as well (as of right now the lone vote of support).

I have not confirmed this personally, but I read in this support thread that SKP files downloaded from the free SketchUp for Web are version 2017 files; which might be an immediate short-term solution until Vw2019 supports importing SKP 2018 files.

@rDesign Apologies, I did not intend to point my frustration at you, and I really appreciate the support on this thread.

Our concern with this is that we work with consultants that interchange using SketchUp. Now we have to make sure to tell them to downsave their files before sending, which is just one more headache when we are trying to make it as easy on our consultants as possible. It's not a big deal...just another frustration point.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

No worries - I certainly understand your frustration.

Hopefully, implementing SketchUp v2018 Import in Vw2019 just fell through the cracks and it can be implemented in a SP (so that we don’t have to wait until Vw2020)