Cabinet Drawers

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I can see what you are doing there. You are trying to assign a one-off material. That's perfectly fine when you want one individual piece to have a different material than what has been assigned to that type of part in general. 

Try this: go to the "Construction" tab and assign a material to the shelf (or fixed shelf, I cannot really see which one it is).

That should give you what you need.

8 minutes ago, Habitat43 said:

@Stephan Moenninghoff sorry i see that. But how do I make my cabinet to use that piece of 1.496 instead of ,787?

Click on the label-link. In the dialog that pops up, start typing the material in the search field (in your case, "Chipboard-38"). The choice of materials will narrow down as you type more characters. Double-click "Chipboard-38" and you're all set. (I sincererely hope that you are but let me now if not) 🙂

1 minute ago, Habitat43 said:

@Stephan Moenninghoff holly @&$&!! Lol you’re the man!!! We did it!! You’re are free of my questions.... for now 🙂

will I be able to request a demo of the new versions next week?

you know I never checked there bc when I see the word “material” I think in the texture not in the actual wood piece. Thanks a lot. 

You are very welcome. interiorcad has always looked at materials as a combination of the actual physical material (and its thickness, cost, grain direction etc.) PLUS the Renderworks texture. We have quite a lot of users who actually produce the cabinets and parts that they model in Vectorworks so it needs to be a one-stop solution.

Anyway, thanks for persevering. I think you have identified a few places where our UX is plain lousy and I have an idea how to fix that.

Stephan

This is slightly off topic, but still relevant.

You seem to be the go to person for anything InteriorCad, so I have a burning question, and have had this question for about 18 years now.

How is it InteriorCad can control the direction of wood grain around door and drawer profiles/frames and VW can't?

I will say this is soooo irritating and disappointing to me,  and quite frankly, the main reason I did not upgrade to VW 2021. I do a lot of rendering and it is beyond the pale that when dealing with door and window casing/trim that has a wood grained texture, you can choose either a horizontal or vertical direction for the direction of the texture.....which is untenable.

Wood grain on a horizontal piece of trim does NOT run vertically. Maybe on Earth 2, but not in our world.

There are painful workarounds to resolve this, but I refuse to take all the time necessary to procure that. I have brought this up for years to the VW powers that be and I still have not received a coherent response as to why this situation has not been addressed. Honestly, it cheapens exponentially the software, which basically is a very good product,  in my view.

I thought you may have some sage advice regarding this situation, since I can't get diddly-squat from the folks at VW.

If you can possibly shed some light on this, I will gladly reward you by sending you that 3d greek salad you had commented on. :-)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Stephan

This is slightly off topic, but still relevant.

You seem to be the go to person for anything InteriorCad, so I have a burning question, and have had this question for about 18 years now.

How is it InteriorCad can control the direction of wood grain around door and drawer profiles/frames and VW can't?

I will say this is soooo irritating and disappointing to me,  and quite frankly, the main reason I did not upgrade to VW 2021. I do a lot of rendering and it is beyond the pale that when dealing with door and window casing/trim that has a wood grained texture, you can choose either a horizontal or vertical direction for the direction of the texture.....which is untenable.

Wood grain on a horizontal piece of trim does NOT run vertically. Maybe on Earth 2, but not in our world.

There are painful workarounds to resolve this, but I refuse to take all the time necessary to procure that. I have brought this up for years to the VW powers that be and I still have not received a coherent response as to why this situation has not been addressed. Honestly, it cheapens exponentially the software, which basically is a very good product,  in my view.

I thought you may have some sage advice regarding this situation, since I can't get diddly-squat from the folks at VW.

If you can possibly shed some light on this, I will gladly reward you by sending you that 3d greek salad you had commented on. 🙂

Kevin, the answer is quite simple:- interiorcad's objects are all designed to be actually manufactured. Therefore, grain direction is absolutely crucial to every single piece because if you flip grain direction for a piece, its length and width will also flip in the parts list. Vectorworks' doors are not designed to be manufactured so the focus is not on that level of detail. Evidently, Vectorworks has been focusing more on interior design of late and I imagine that comments from interior designers might lead to some improvements in this area.

Stephan

Well....thanks for the explanation....although I am personally not letting VW off the hook. I have the feeling that they are very aware of the issue.  They just don't like talking about it.

That said, as promised, here is your 3d greek salad.  Not sure if you use c4d, but I included that file as well.  Still another mystery to me why the VW file is 5 times larger that the c4d version.....another mystery for another day. 

Enjoy your salad!  :-)

GREEK SALAD V2020.vwx GREEK SALAD.c4d

Ah, it looks like the class that the profiles are kept in needs to be hidden in the viewport. Look for "XG-Custom Part Routing-Profile" and hide it. We have also identified a problem whereby profiles get applied to the wrong part if you have more than one frame in the same cabinet. This will be resolved soon. I will post a new build once it's done!

You cannot create L-shaped cabinets with the current version. It is one of the bigger stories we will tackle for the forthcoming releases. (not just L-shaped cabinets. Corner situations in general).