Displaying Location name

I have a number of rooms on my drawing, and each room has a closed polygon around it that I've named that given rooms name, so when I want to summarize all the items in each room all I have to do is create a worksheet with criteria that's pretty basic.  All the items on layer 'Room items' that fall within the location of 'Room1'.  This works great, but what I'm struggling with is how to call out the location name 'Room1' in the resulting search criteria cells (if that makes sense).  i.e. in the attached file, I'd like cell D3.1 and D3.2 to have the name of the location the items were found in.  Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 1.27.47 PM.png

@Gadzooks, Thanks for the kudos, but my reading of the question is that @DCarpenter wants to do the opposite. He has the objects in the worksheet and wants to list the Location names. I don't think there is an easy way to do this.

The LOC is not a property of the object. When you use the LOC criteria is goes through and compares every object to the objected named in the LOC and only returns the ones that do.

If you have a "reasonable" number of LOCs (say 10-20 max) that don't change very often I would probably just create a separate database for each LOC and use that as a work around.

If you have a large number of LOCs or they change name frequently (like you need to do this for every project), then we have to go to much harder options.

The best option I can think of right now, which will probably be deadly slow on a large drawing) would be to create a custom worksheet function that will take an object, compare it to every object in the drawing with a name and return the Name of the first object that has the object in that LOC.  If you can accept the LOC object being in some what identified (always in the same class, having a custom record attached, being on a different layer) then that would greatly decrease the number of comparisons and speed up the operation.

Also, the way your database is set up, it is not going to work as you expect. Since you have your upbeats SUMarized, if you end up with objects in different LOCs, it will return a cell with a dash ("-") (I think) because the data is not identical for every object.

Let me know if you need more help.

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

He has the objects in the worksheet and wants to list the Location names

Yes tbh I did make that mistake first off, but it put me on the hunt for the solution I thought you'd done some time ago. Having found it I realised the difference.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:30 PM, DCarpenter said:

I'd like cell D3.1 and D3.2 to have the name of the location the items were found in

Listing locations for the duplicate objects may then report, in some cases, a huge list all in one cell. Difficult to control the output cell when there are multiple locations to report and therefore 'messy' I think.

Pat, your option to create mini sheets for each location maybe solves nicely?  

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

If you have a large number of LOCs or they change name frequently (like you need to do this for every project), then we have to go to much harder options.

Totally agree - So I still think your solution is far better, in that most design layouts have a finite number of locations - perhaps better still if there's floor by floor counts. (i.e. You're not going to populate a random 'unidentified' space with a variety of the items that need counting). So for the sheet to find objects first and then identify the space/locations (as your worksheet) seemed a better basis for an ongoing and reasonably simple solution for most situations. One additional feature might be to add a 'check calc' to flag up if items are counted but have no location found. (Stray symbol accidentally placed out of sight?) 

If the sheet is to be used for (say) FF&E then I'd add additional columns for each of the locations to simply calculate and flag under/over the stipulated requirements. (All design offices to have at least one extra coffee machine in LOC = ’close’ 😂)

I think the kudos stays where it's deserved. 

Edited by Gadzooks