Symbol images in worksheets

lgoodkind

Question

24 answers to this question

Oh - sorry thats not worked. I felt sure it was just the 'quirky at best' image function not displaying correctly and that by experimenting with the settings in cell format you would crack it. Seems its more problematic.

You say its all symbols? Maybe others can offer advice if they've experienced similar problems.

Happy to take a look at a sample worksheet if you think that may help.

I have issues with symbol images on worksheets as well.  I've even gotten it to work in one file and tried pulling that worksheet into a different file and it doesn't work again in the new file.  My cell formatting is the same as shown above in the previous post.  I have my worksheet set up so the first column shows the image and the second column has the symbol name.  My image doesn't show up at all.

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 12.26.30 PM.png

We set up the worksheet in our template file, so every file we work in has the same layers.  I tried formatting the column to show the image at a custom scale.  It changes the size of the cells, but still no image shows up... so that makes it almost seem like it's there but you can't see it?  

Additionally, the symbol I'm using is the same between files because they are also in our template.  So that makes it a bit more perplexing that it works in one file and not the other.

Good question @Boh  I had to think about that.

I just tested it and I think the answer is no.  Image visibility in worksheets follows the current visibility, not the viewport visibility.

Even more reason for a class visibility function on images in worksheets.

For example, it would be nice to use images of lighting instruments, but be able to control what parts of the label show in the image function.

• Like 2

There are two ways.

In a regular (spreadsheet - not a cell in a a database row) cell 

1. Type =IMAGE 
  2. Go to the Insert Menu in the worksheet > Criteria
  3. If you had enough foresight to have the symbol already selected you can just check Symbol in the dialog box
    1. I never have foresight, so I click Custom…
    2. By default the 2nd line of the custom criteria will be Layer  is  Something.  Change Layer to Symbol.
    3. Click on the icon in the 3rd column and you will see a list of every symbol used in the drawing.  Pick the one you want.

If you have a database (databases have subrows, so the row headers will be something like 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc.  One row for every object that meets the criteria of the database) there will be a row at the top with database calls.  In this example row 2.  The database calls again always start with =.  You can either type in =Image or use the little pull down on the right side of the cell.  Set the pulldowns to be Functions, Objects-General, Image.  It's exactly the same thing.

If that is clear as mud, please post an example of the worksheet you are trying to add an image to and some of the symbols you are using.  Once you see how it works the first time it will make a lot more sense.

• Like 2