Data Tag - Tag Data to Worksheet

Kevin McAllister

Question

8 answers to this question

@Kevin McAllister I think that this is a great request. I haven't yet played around with the Auto-Generated Incremented Value options yet and instead have been relying on a manually entered ID# in the attached record to handle the appearance of the tag, while querying the record format to the worksheet. This requires me to manually adjust the values, but I can easily do that from the worksheet and thus it hasn't been to bad.

A couple of questions about the Auto-Generated Incremented Value.

• Does it recognize similar objects with similar data, giving them the same number? This would mean that the auto number is recognizing that the data/object is different somehow?

I initially conceptualized something like this, but that would take advantage of the callout tool and keynote legends instead, which already have the auto-numbering built in. Perhaps there is a way to combine these functionalities, because Keynote Legends are actually a pretty good way to manage auto-numbering. Perhaps the Data Tag could be designed to send a specific field to a keynote legend and then auto-number based upon that legend? Ultimately you are correct, you would still need a way to pull this number into a worksheet. We do this currently with callouts using the formula (='Callout'.'__KeynoteNumber')...something I would have never discovered without the help of wizard @Pat Stanford.

...Hope that they can integrate your suggestions on leader lines as well! ...and multiple leader lines.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:31 PM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

You can also use the DataTagField worksheet formula on a database worksheet of data tags.

Hi Nikolay.

Can you please explain what the "criteria" is in this formula? I want to get the incrementing value integer of a data tag into a worksheet and I can't figure it out.

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Boh said:

Hi Nikolay.

Can you please explain what the "criteria" is in this formula? I want to get the incrementing value integer of a data tag into a worksheet and I can't figure it out.

Thanks

Hello @Boh,

The criteria is for selecting on which objects to apply this function. If you use database worksheet of data tags, then the criteria is automatically passed and you do not have to specify it. What you need to enter is fieldName, which is the value of the text object inside of the data tag layout, which you want to display in the worksheet. Example file attached.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

DataTagFieldExample.vwx

• Like 2

To expand on Nikolay's comment.

Many of the  Worksheet Functions can be used in individual Spreadsheet cells or in Database Header cells.

If they are used in a Database then the criteria from the database will automatically be passed with one object being passed for each subrow.

If they are used in a Spreadsheet cell then you have to supply the criteria.

Let's say you have a bunch of lines in a class named Boh.

Create a Database Row and Set Criteria to:

image.png.69d5008ca607de2609b4b07ffc8e5c96.png

This gives you a formula for the database of

=DATABASE(((T=LINE) & (C='Boh')))

With ((T=LINE) & (C='Boh')) being the criteria.

This is great. It will let you have a subrow for every object that meets the criteria and you can display different information about each object in different columns. If you want the length of each line you can use a formula of =Length. 

But what if all you want is the total length of all these lines? It seems a waste to make a database to do that.

You can just put a formula in a spreadsheet cell of

=Length(((T=LINE) & (C='Boh')))

Now back to data tags.

If you had a number of different data tags, but knew they all had the same value you could use a spreadsheet formula like:

=DATATAGFIELD((((PON='Data Tag') & (C='Boh'))), 'PTS')

But I am not sure how much good that would do you as it seem to return the value of the first placed data tag for the field named PTS.

The Field Name is the text string in the Data Tag Layout that is linked to Dynamic text.

I was hoping for functionality like the ability to SUM the values of multiple data tags or to show the value if all the Data Tags specified by the criteria were the same and a dash or some other indication that the values were not the same across all the tags that meet the criteria.

HTH.

• Like 2