Import Rhino V6 .3dm file fails

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What version of Vectorworks are you currently using? It looks like 6 was released this year, so its possible older versions won't ever be able to handle it, but normally the latest version of Vectorworks is kept within a year or two compatible with other packages like that. I don;t see anything specifically mentioning version support for Rhino in the documentation, just the support for 3DM.

In any case if you can send me the file I can submit it and see if thats an upgrade we need to make.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 minutes ago, milezee said:

@Jim Wilson apologies Jim, VW 2019, Architect. From the file drop down menu in VW, Imports, there is a specific option Rhino 3dm ? 

Correct, apologies. I didnt mean nothing related to Rhino, just that I just didn't see anything mentioning 3DM Version 6 or 3DM Version 5 or anything like that. There is that distinction when we import some other file formats like DWG and SKP.

Also: You should now be able to upload 3DMs, I have edited the forum permissions.

• Like 1

VW hates meshes, so:

Step 2: simplify mesh

Step 3: convert to a generic solid

Nebertheless, it will continue to slow down DL and SLVP, and massively increase file size.

The only rhino objects I import are custom (often grasshopper) “sculpted” models. Something like a cabinet, I would prefer to model natively in VW to keep the file lightweight and responsive.

Edited by Mark Aceto
42 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

VW hates meshes, so:

Step 2: simplify mesh

Step 3: convert to a generic solid

Nebertheless, it will continue to slow down DL and SLVP, and massively increase file size.

The only rhino objects I import are custom (often grasshopper) “sculpted” models. Something like a cabinet, I would prefer to model natively in VW to keep the file lightweight and responsive.

I go between Rhino and VW all the time. Properly constructed objects in Rhino usually come into VW as NURBS surfaces and NURBS curves which are very useable. I often Stitch and Trim collections of NURBS surfaces to create solids. Rhino closed polysurfaces will normally appear as generic solids in VW.

Rhino isn't really a mesh based piece of software so I'm surprised you're encountering a lot of meshes. That said, I often send VW objects to Rhino to convert them to mesh because the Rhino mesh command has so much finer control and generates clean meshes for 3d printing.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...
24 minutes ago, Wes Gardner said:

What I would like to see is the import of Rhino's layer structure...similar to how we import a .dwg

@Wes Gardner yes that would great too, but for now I'd just like VW to be able to import Rhino V6 files, its been out for about 2 years now, surely this is a basic import from another CAD package which VW has a native import option for 🙄

@Wes Gardner quality that Wes, there's some pretty hardcore surfacing modelling right there, my work doesn't quite go as far as that but I've done some pretty cool things with Rhino over the years, pound for pound its probably the best 3d software out there. Only just starting using VW this year and am generally liking it, especially extracting data and adding the worksheets onto the sheet layers. 

Please VW people make the Rhino import option work properly ☺️ 

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, A.D.K. said:

Bump and another vote for Rhino 6 support, please.  In 2019 and 2020 would be great, but I get it if we can't have it retro in 2019.

Rhino V6 has been out for years now, Rhino V7 WIP is in its final stages and I would anticipate a release by the end of the year 😂😂👍👍👍 

2 hours ago, A.D.K. said:

Bump and another vote for Rhino 6 support, please.  In 2019 and 2020 would be great, but I get it if we can't have it retro in 2019.

Here’s a LINK to the existing wishlist thread for this. Please follow the link to that thread and go upvote it (it currently only has 1 vote).

• Like 1