export to .U3D

ant

• 1 month later...

Definition of U3D from answers.com website:

"(Universal 3D) A 3D graphics format developed by Intel and the 3D Industry Forum (3DIF) for sharing 3D drawings on the Web and in common office applications. In order to reduce the U3D file size for quick Internet downloading and fast rendering on screen, most of the engineering data associated with the original drawing is eliminated. U3D was not designed to offer another 3D file type for editing, but to create a simple format for interactive viewing that CAD programs can export to. In late 2004, Adobe announced support for U3D in Version 7 of its Acrobat/PDF product family."

More information at www.3dif.org/

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello ant:

It sounds like it is not a standard yet. Only Adobe and Hitachi, and now Microstation support this now, and it sounds like it still has a way to go:

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/2005/01/thats_2_hitachi.html

If this format gains more traction we will look at supporting it. Until then there are other formats that work today, like QTVR.

VRML and QD3D were 3D formats VW has supported in the past, both are dead now. The 3D world is littered with dead 3D file formats. It is a shame that OpenGL does not have a filing component to it like QD3D did; that would probably be the standard now if it had that.

[ 03-03-2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Dave Donley ]

sorry dave, but autocad, deepexploration also support it. You will notice that Acrobat 7 and autocad play very well together now, I did a lot of research the other day after discovering adobe acrobat added it. My immediate thought was when will cinem and VW both add this.

QTVR is a very different beast then u3d.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Kai:

You'll understand my skepticism. I guess this new format is different than the others that came before it because it is backed by several large companies rather than one or two non-profits like the VRML consortium or Apple.