hobick

So is the 2018 Mac Mini a viable VW machine?

Right... if I'd been in less of a rush skim reading the post and selected the right render mode I wouldn't be wondering why the 2700x pipped the threadripper... When I did it with the right mode, its a much more respectable 1:33. Face palm...¬†ūüôĄ

A 2990WX would scream through it for sure!

My Classic 2010 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 6 core is still plodding along¬†after 1hr 50 min. I guess it‚Äôs time for a new workstation. ūüėĘ

For me that sounds a bit too long.

Are you sure that you render the same as we do ?

I would be more expecting something like 10-20 minutes, if at all that long.

The link below shows a mac mini with 2 eGPUs on DaVinci software

The software allows to activate 2 GPUs and the results are dramatic

I am not sure if this will ever be a VW option

13 hours ago, zoomer said:

For me that sounds a bit too long.

Are you sure that you render the same as we do ?

I would be more expecting something like 10-20 minutes, if at all that long.

Your right! I let it go several hours then checked activity monitor and Vectorworks 2019 was frozen (NOT RESPONDING) when the progress bar was almost done. I tried it again after restarting my Mac and VW. VW then finished the preview in about 10 minutes then crashed when I tried to export the image as a PSD 300 dpi 15" wide by ?" tall.

I just updated to 10.13.6 and Security Update 2018-003 which wiped out my NVIDIA Drivers which now have been restored. VW may require a reinstall or the 18069-3D_Concept file is damaged.

Edited by rjtiedeman

Yeah Bob, that kind of power looks amazing, GPUs and eGPUs look to be the way we will finally see the rendering bottleneck disappear. I had hoped there was some kind of new OS magic in Rob's results making the eGPU available.

I don't see why this couldn't start happening though; Nemetschek recently took it's holdings in Maxon to 100% and Cinema 4D has already started making use of the GPU for rendering. Why not unleash C4D's rendering / visualisation capacity fully "within" Vectorworks as either an upgrade or as a more thoroughly integrated plugin? This has been a longtime request of users, then what's happening on the GPU front can become part of the Vectorworks workflow in a timely manner. It seems like low hanging fruit to me? Especially when you consider CineRender is the engine underneath Renderworks and that we can already import C4d textures into Vectorworks . . .

But especially Cinerender Engine is only old CPU Rendering.

GPU Rendering in C4D means 3rd party Renderers like Arnold and such.

Or, Cinemas "integration" of a 3rd party Rendere like AMD Pro Render.

But that is also not part of C4D's Render  Standard or Physical  Renderer.