Files Missing fom Server

Hi...this is going to sound like a pretty long and confusing question, but hopefully I can outline it.

We are currently in the process of changing over our platforms from PC to Mac. We had all of our files on a PC server, and because we had yet to have everyhing converted to Mac platforms, and still use autocad files for as builts that come in to the office, we kept the PC server temporarily to store everything on, while we began the long process of conversion.

We also upgraded to Vectorworks 11 Architect, as we needed new software for the mac's.

Friday a DVD-RW was left in the PC server, which was still scheduled for backup saturday evening. Also one of the first times a back up was run since the conversion to mac.

Coming in to the office today pretty much anything that had been opened or modified on the Mac's, most notably anything in Vectorworks 11, but also word, excel, and picture files, no longer exists on the PC server, as well as nothing shown on the backup disc as having been backed up.

So in essence it would appear that anything modified or created on mac platform in vectorworks 11 has dissapeared from existance. All autocad files, and even old vectorworks drawings with the .mcd extension (we formerlly had version 8 or 9 I believe) are still there though.

I downloaded a program to search for lost files, called "Retrieve My Files" and it diod the full search of the drive and found nothing.

Any thoughts/help???? This is not a good thing...

[ 01-24-2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: smithandcostudio ]

Get somebody in to deal with it immediately!

The files should still be there but will probably just be 'hidden'. If you continue to use the server it will overwrite these files so the longer you leave it the more likely it will be that the files will be gone forever.

Use your other machines in standalone mode if you have to.

You say things other than VW files also disappeared. It sounds like you have had some sort of corruption at the server level happen either with the backup or a virus or something. I would contact your system admin or IT person to have them investigate what happened.

Hi!

thanks for the ideas and suggestions...we had a recovery done on the server as it appears that the DVD writer/back up program is the culprit here...

Next question is, it appears that we were able to recover just about everything lost, and now pretty much the only files that won't open are the Vector Works 11 files...It just shuts down the application. Excel files and most everything are ok...I'm burning the recovered files t oDVD to see if the older files that were lost can be opened in our old version of vectorworks off the pc.....but so far noe of the vectorworks11 files will wok.

Any suggestions on that?

Thanks

The appliation will try to recover a file if it detects a file is damaged in any way.

You may want to copy the file from wherever they are to the local computer and open from there.

The error message you are getting would also be helpful.

IT APPARENTLY ALSO CORRUPTED ANY OF THE LOST AUTOCAD FILES AS WELL...ALTHOUGH ANYTHING ELSE WAS RECOVERED FINE....excel, jpegs, word files pdf's etc...

when I open one of the files, off my machine directly, or through the server I get this message

"This file was damaged. It will open with as much data as possible"

then vectorworks entirely crashes, even with previously open files opened, and says "The application Vectorworks has unexpectedly quit" and shuts down althogether....