Visible Polygon Vertices

peterlukejenkins

Question

Hi all,

I'm sure this must be basic functionality and I'm just missing something, but is there a way of making Polygon and/or Polyline vertices (or nodes, points, whatever you like to call them!) permanently visible while editing?

I know the points all show up if you double click the line, which is great, but if you then want to position a new line or object to certain points on the previous line, and as such you activate a new tool, the points on the original line all disappear.

In my particular case I am trying to add coordinate stakes to a boundary line for a contractor to set out on site. The boundary line is over 100m long with a lot of points/vertices/nodes, and it would make the task a lot simpler if I could see those points in a permanently 'on' manner while I add stakes to each one.

Before you ask, yes I have snaps turned on, but they also snap to midpoints which I don't need to mark, and it would still be easier to just be able to see the points in the first place.

Hopefully there's a simple solution...

Running VW 2017, SP5 on a Mac Retina 5k, 27 inch, 2017 running masOS High Sierra

Edited by peterlukejenkins

7 answers to this question

I don't know of a real way to do what you're describing, but a workaround might be to turn on end markers in the attribute palette, so each individual line segment has arrows or dots on each end (but you'd have to Decompose if you're starting with a Polygon).

1052610024_ScreenShot2018-11-27at12_03_00PM.thumb.png.9e6ccfbf891e00d0b27544ca7f8f4781.png

And you can turn off midpoint snapping by double clicking the "Snap to Object" button in the snapping palette.

• Like 1

I don't know of a real way to do what you're describing, but a workaround might be to turn on end markers in the attribute palette, so each individual line segment has arrows or dots on each end (but you'd have to Decompose if you're starting with a Polygon).

Thanks this could work as a workaround in some situations and I hadn't thought of it. Not ideal to have to temporarily change attributes rather than just have a simple "view" setting somewhere, but easier than working blind.

And you can turn off midpoint snapping by double clicking the "Snap to Object" button in the snapping palette.

Also helpful, thanks again; I did not realise you could adjust the snap settings at a more detailed level like that.

I'd still welcome suggestions if there are better ways, but I'm guessing there might not be!

This is not what you want but may be a workaround.

Duplicate the polyline and then group it.  Inside the group decompose the polyline - then you will get endpoints to snap to.  Put a locus or stake or whatever at each endpoint.

Magic wand to select and delete the polyline segments.  Exit and ungroup.

• Confused 1

Thanks @rsa, but the issue is being able to see the vertices, not snap to them. I can snap to them while it’s still a polygon. 

Putting a “locus or stake...” at each endpoint is precisely the problem; it’s not easy to do when you have a 100m long, 200 vertice, almost straight line. Being able to see the vertices, as opposed to just snapping to them, would be very helpful.

Hmmm. I see what you mean.  I don't think VW can do that.  I think I'm just repeating what Andy Broomell suggested.

-after decomposing the polyline change the start/stop end conditions to a point.  A little tedious...

I think I'd still group each polyline so that it is easier to keep them together and recompose later if you want.

image.thumb.png.cc5f4e01c3492bfd8a82c729ec60eaf6.png