Navigation Graphics Compatibility

Bruce Kieffer

Question

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It's the legacy tech holdover as we transition things to the VGM. Eventually it will be gone and Vectorworks will always use Best Performance. 

The main two reasons it is still here are 1) for users who insist on using hardware below our recommendations, and 2) to allow workarounds while the VGM is upgraded and polished. We won't get rid of it until there is no longer a need to mess with it at all during troubleshooting and it no longer "resolves" any visibility issues by letting you revert to the old engine.

2 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

I wish this did not exist in Vectorworks. I have no other apps that require me to adjust a setting like this. Every time something goes goofy with Vectorworks I have to wonder if this is the reason, and then I have to play with the setting and test. I don't want to do this anymore, it's a waste of time. Please get rid of it.

If your signature is correct and you're using 13" MacBook Pro with integrated graphics, this option may be the only reason you are able to use VW on your machine. If it were to go away you would likely need to upgrade to a Mac that has a separate graphics chip or invest in an eGPU.

Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

If your signature is correct and you're using 13" MacBook Pro with integrated graphics, this option may be the only reason you are able to use VW on your machine. If it were to go away you would likely need to upgrade to a Mac that has a separate graphics chip or invest in an eGPU.

Kevin

I'm going to suggest that is more a Vectorworks limitation than my Mac. This is a 2 year old computer, and an expensive one. There's no good reason why Vectorworks should not be compatible. I have no other apps with such stringent requirements that they won't work on my MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

This is a 2 year old computer, and an expensive one. There's no good reason why Vectorworks should not be compatible.

If it does not have a dedicated card, that would the precise reason why. We can not guarantee compatibility just because of the cost of user hardware, only it's actual capability. We have much more stringent requirements than other software packages, yes.

So far I haven't found a good eGPU solution for the Macbooks, for some reason even in Mojave, I havent seen the expected speed increases like I saw on the Mac Mini. Mojave claims to be able to boost graphics performance even on the native internal display, but so far in all my tests I see slower performance both in Vectorworks and other benchmark apps, will post more once I find out whats going on.

I have a 2016 13” MacBook Pro with integrated graphics. I was able to run Vectorworks 2017 and 2018 on it with no problem, but Mojave broke that for 2018 and 2019. The machine meets entry-level requirements—which note that Vectorworks will be suitable for simple drawing and models only—but Vectorworks cannot even display a blank drawing. I edited fairly complex drawings with VW 2018 and High Sierra a month ago, but now with Mojave my hardware is obsolete. For the record, I can run ArchiCAD, SketchUp, Cinema4D, the Adobe suite, and other high-end graphics software without any problems, but suddenly not Vectorworks. Tech support refused to admit that there is a problem with Vectorworks. There is. 

• Like 1

Yup, 2018 SP5.1 and 2019 SP2. In both cases, Vectorworks will launch and display the menus and tool palettes, but the pale yellow design layer will be transparent to the desktop behind. If I scroll my mouse to zoom, or take a similar action that forces a refresh, then it will display the design layer. I can draw and edit blindly, but the display does not update unless I force a refresh.

Edited by ThreeDot