ROBE PATT 2017 Draw Beam - why are these incorrect?

mjm

Question

Here's a copy / paste from a current document in 2018 SPlatest,  which had exhibited same behavior in 2019 SP2.

The Drawn beams, tho all relevant data are same fixture to fixture, the beams drawn are bizarrely wrong. Any thoughts?

Also, this is a fixture downloaded from this forum, the creator is… @mikewright, thanks man & thanks all!

4 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Rob Books said:

the focus points are gradually higher as you go to the right.  the radius will get bigger at the fall off the further away you are.  the beam angles are still consistent.  the fixtures from them have a overall larger radius because their filed angle is larger than the one I found online when those were made.

when you set all the focus points to the same height, you get the below.

Beams.jpg

Hi again Rob, appreciate you jumping in here. In the vwx I have submitted, I was careful I thought in setting all trims to same heights and all foci straight down to closest Focus point. Perhaps I got that wrong, so in order to check myself, I have copied/pasted into a new blank doc two fixtures and their focus points, then checked their Z hts and focus. All seems in order except for the result. See attached.

Your opinion? As always - my thanks

edit: the final image below show screencap of entire window with just fixtures selected. The OIP shows all Z @ 16', so something seems to be going on.

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.33.06 AM.png

Crazy Weird small.vwx

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.39.18 AM.png

Edited by mjm
More data
44 minutes ago, Rob Books said:

the trim height of the fixture will not make a difference if your focus points are at different heights, as that is what determines the radius at the end of the beam.

think of it as an infinite cone, that is then cut a distance x from the tip of the cone.  The larger x is, the bigger the radius will be at that cut plane. in your drawing, you have one cone ending roughly 16' from the tip, and the other roughly 80' from the tip.  the angle of the sides of the cone remains the same, but you get a larger end radius on the 80' than you will on the 16'.  if you look from the left view from your first example, the cones all match up, just getting farther from the tip.  

in the image I attached, they all have the same radius because they all end the same distance from the tip of that cone.  other than changing the heights of the focus points to be the same, I didn't change anything else from your drawing.  all the fixtures are still at the same trim height.

hope that makes sense and clears it up a bit on why the circles are bigger..

44 minutes ago, Rob Books said:

the trim height of the fixture will not make a difference if your focus points are at different heights, as that is what determines the radius at the end of the beam.

think of it as an infinite cone, that is then cut a distance x from the tip of the cone.  The larger x is, the bigger the radius will be at that cut plane. in your drawing, you have one cone ending roughly 16' from the tip, and the other roughly 80' from the tip.  the angle of the sides of the cone remains the same, but you get a larger end radius on the 80' than you will on the 16'.  if you look from the left view from your first example, the cones all match up, just getting farther from the tip.  

in the image I attached, they all have the same radius because they all end the same distance from the tip of that cone.  other than changing the heights of the focus points to be the same, I didn't change anything else from your drawing.  all the fixtures are still at the same trim height.

hope that makes sense and clears it up a bit on why the circles are bigger..

As the attached illustrates, I been acting the fool. Missed the changing Z of the Focus Points & not sure how that happened, but so happy to understand it was me and not VWX.

Really appreciate the feedback!

Act a foo.mp3

• Like 1