Front/side views of 2d components not available for angles that are not orthogonal to the drawing coordinate system?

Will

Question

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Will Hi Will, I wasn't able to figure out why this particular symbol is having problems, but if I re-create it the problem goes away. I've submitted a bug report for our engineers to take a look, but if there's any more info you can offer on how the symbol was created it might give us a better clue. Thanks for your help!

15 hours ago, Tim C. said:

@Will Hi Will, I wasn't able to figure out why this particular symbol is having problems, but if I re-create it the problem goes away. I've submitted a bug report for our engineers to take a look, but if there's any more info you can offer on how the symbol was created it might give us a better clue. Thanks for your help!

Hi Tim, I created a new file from a standard vectorworks metric template, imported a dwg from a supplier, created a symbol from the plan view and then copied and pasted the front view into front view of the symbol. Should the front view geometry be on layer plane, 3d plane or screen? @Tim C.

So I can recreate the problem by starting a brand new blank metric template. Draw a rectangle in plan. Create symbol based on the the rectangle. Switch to symbol front component, draw another rectangle. Create a section viewport on a sheet layer. Verify that the section shows the front component rectangle. Rotate the section cut line and the symbol by 30º. Verify that the front rectangle has disappeared. Results of this process are in the attached file. No data was imported, it was a fresh copy of an unaltered vectorworks supplied template and nothing more complicated than a rectangle was used. Seems like a bug in the 2d components feature to me? EDIT: But I'd really love to be wrong as I have a load of bathroom elevation drawings to knock out which I could have done in no time at all if I can get this working!

Untitled 3.vwx

Edit System specs. VW 2019 SP2. MacOS Mojave 10.14.1. MacBookPro Retina (Mid 2014) 2.5Ghz i7. 16Gb RAM. NVIDA GeForce GT 750M 2Gb VRAM.

Edited by Will

Hi @Will ,

The problem you're having is actually due to the bug Tim reported. The issue is that the section viewport thinks it's cutting through the symbol if the section line passes through the symbols bounding box:

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 8.53.48 AM.png

Since it thinks its cutting the symbol and your symbol has no geometry in its 3D component and no geometry in its Front and Back Cut component, the section viewport has nothing to show. If you add geometry to one of those components, you will see it display in the viewport. Also, if you drag the section line further away from the symbol so that it's outside the symbol's bounding box, you should see the Front component.

• Like 1

Also, can someone tell me, is there a tolerance on how orthogonal the a view needs to be? E.g. If a toilet is on a wall that is at an angle of 30.002º and the interior elevation marker is placed at an angle of 29.999º is that going to work? I'm having real problems with some interior elevations not showing the 2d components.

Thanks W

Edited by Will

Hi Will,

The current design has virtually no tolerance. So, in your example, you would not see the 2D component. We will be investigating possibilities of loosening this up in the future. Please do request this in the "Wishes" forum. More user requests and feedback could help push this sooner than later.

• Like 1

Do you think that's something that might be in a service pack as there are often instances where a wall or component is slightly out. Is the tolerance tighter than the max decimal places (in degrees) we can see in vectorworks because I'm still having problems with interior elevation viewports. I've got a set of symbols with front and side 2d components and they are working fine in two out of 3 rooms, but my last interior elevation marker is not generating drawings with 2d components. I have switched on all layers and classes, verified that it is orthogonal to the max number of decimal places. I duplicated an interior elevation marker that I know is working in another room and checked the section lines, just not seeing any 2D components at all. Thanks W