Jump to content
  • 0
bjoerka

VW19 SP2 dramatic slow down...

Question

this happens in different tools and things i am doing.

starting with selecting doors or windows that are placed in walls. after clicking on the elements it take 3-5 seconds that the spinning ball stops and the info in the oip gets visible.

editing path´s of extruded obects results in a sluggish interface where it takes some time that snapping point inside the path are found and snapped to.

moving a section viewport inside a sheet layer takes 2-3 second to get a redraw while the spinning ball is visible.

all geometry was buildt up in 2019, some parts converted from a 2018 version.

 

i stepped back to sp1.1 and the overall interface is much faster.

 

anyone else with this behauvior?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Recommended Posts

  • 0

We are seeing the same issue with SP2.

Multiple files have spinning beachballs (sometimes up to 10min.) when changing layers and editing objects. 

This is solved when we move back to sp1.1. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@ericjhberg @Henry Santos @nahekul @bjoerka if you're able to message me one of the files that seems slower, it would be much-appreciated. This doesn't seem to be a general problem all users are seeing, so it might be something specific to your files.

 

Also, if you're on Mac and are experiencing a slowdown, there's a really easy way to generate a log that helps our engineers diagnose the problem:

 

-Launch the Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities)

-While the slowdown is occurring in VW, highlight the Vectorworks 2019 app in the Activity Monitor and choose "Sample Process" from the pull-down menu at the top

-This will generate a text file that you can save and upload

 

Thanks for your help!

 

Tim

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Tim C. 

 

Thanks, I have sent you the Vectorworks file that is experiencing the slowdown as well as the activity monitor report. 

Let me know if there are any issues with the file. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@nahekul Thanks again. I was able to reproduce your slowdown and I've logged a bug report so our engineers can take a closer look.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

hi tim,

i´ll post mine tomorrow when i am in the office. German time zone ,-)

is there any way to get something similar from the windows side too?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@bjoerka Much thanks, I was able to duplicate the problem and I've logged a bug report for our engineers to take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Maybe there is another thing that goes along with this issue.

I have a file that  i wanted to use the purge command with.

I forced vw19 to quit after 20 minutes. nothing happend there.

exported the file down to vw17 and there the job was done after 2 minutes...

inside there is a mess of coincident lines from a dwg import. brought the file size from 138mb down to 53mb 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@bjoerka if you could message me that file I'd like to take a closer look. In my experience operations done prior to the Purge (for example deleting a bunch of things) can cause it to take longer, but it shouldn't take nearly this long. Thanks again for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Has anyone solved this yet as it just seems to be getting worse. Every time I select a new type of object I get the spinning beach ball for a varied amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

take a closer look to your activity monitor... i wrote something about it. maybe there is a similar behauvior and you can write somethin about it.

regarding this topic the vw team was able to reproduce these things and i think (hope) that with the next service pack the problems will be adressed...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I did check the activity monitor and it temporarily says "Vectorworks not responding" before returning to normal each time it hang. I will await the update. Thanks for the reply

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Alan.AHA as you experience the slowdown can you create a sample file from the Activity Monitor? This will give our engineers something to look at so we can investigate. It should take less than a minute:

 

-Launch the Activity Monitor

-While the slowdown is occurring in VW, highlight the Vectorworks 2019 app in the Activity Monitor and choose "Sample Process" from the pull-down menu at the top

-This will generate a text file that you can save and upload

 

Thanks for your help!

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

We have noticed that Vectorworks slows down/freezes every time something new is drawn (eg. lines, squares, dimensions) on layers with a lot of objects (~1800 objects).

Moving and duplicating objects are okay, just not drawing anything new. 

It happens with VW2019 SP2 only. Other versions seem to be fine. 

 

We think this is because Vectorworks is trying to redraw the entire design layer. 

If all the classes on the layer are hidden, then there are no issues with drawing anything.

Drawing objects inside a group without showing other objects outside the group is fine as well. 

 

If there is a way to limit the redraw to the display area instead of the entire layer, then I think it should solve this issue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
53 minutes ago, nahekul said:

We have noticed that Vectorworks slows down/freezes every time something new is drawn (eg. lines, squares, dimensions) on layers with a lot of objects (~1800 objects).

Moving and duplicating objects are okay, just not drawing anything new. 

It happens with VW2019 SP2 only. Other versions seem to be fine. 

 

We think this is because Vectorworks is trying to redraw the entire design layer. 

If all the classes on the layer are hidden, then there are no issues with drawing anything.

Drawing objects inside a group without showing other objects outside the group is fine as well. 

 

If there is a way to limit the redraw to the display area instead of the entire layer, then I think it should solve this issue. 

 


We can narrow down where the issue is with a symptom like that: Do you get the same slowdowns with Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics set to both the top and bottom settings in a quick test? Or does one seem much slower than the other?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:


We can narrow down where the issue is with a symptom like that: Do you get the same slowdowns with Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics set to both the top and bottom settings in a quick test? Or does one seem much slower than the other?

 

The same thing happens with either "Best Performance" or "Best Compatibility" selected. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hrmm that isn't screen/layer redraw then. Make sure to have tech@vectorworks.net take a look in that case, might be some stuck geometry slowing you down unduly. 1800 isn't THAT many objects and shouldn't start crawling unless they each have hundreds or thousands of vertices each or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
32 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Hrmm that isn't screen/layer redraw then. Make sure to have tech@vectorworks.net take a look in that case, might be some stuck geometry slowing you down unduly. 1800 isn't THAT many objects and shouldn't start crawling unless they each have hundreds or thousands of vertices each or something like that.

 

Yes, the file has been sent to the tech and they are looking into this. Thanks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

It looks like we may have found the issue. 

The problem occurs on the elevation design layer. 

On this layer, there are 24 viewports referencing back to the main floorplans (with lots of symbols and multiple layers turned on). 

Moving these viewports onto another design layer and turning it off when drawing on the elevation layer solves the slowdown issue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×