Haydenovative

Class Visibility in Thumbnail Renders

Heya Team,

How would you go about toggling which classes to show in your symbols thumbnail view? For example, truss with a simplified class, in hidden line symbol thumbnail render mode it doesn't look like truss. how would I turn that class off for the symbol render? Thanks in advance!

Don't know if thats what you mean:

I have made my own truss symbols with two classes inside the symbol, one showing the whole body, and one showing only the achsis of beam and brace. When you set up views only with the according class visibility you can toggle between these views. This is very useful when you have big scales like 1:200 where details like fork ends have no importance and slow down the drawing.

Truss.jpg

Hi Halfcouple, Thanks so much for taking the time to put this up. This is not quite what Im talking about although it may help to clarify my point. If you've saved that as a symbol with both of those two classes on it and tell the symbols thumbnail to be Right-Isometric and Open GL, which class do you see represented there? and could you change that id you wanted to.

ah, is it the thumbnail views in the resource browser you mean ?

I think they simply show up with the classes that were used last time the symbol was edited.

To change the class in which they appear, double cllick on the symbol, choose classes as needed in the navigation palette, exit symbol and save file. If the symbols are in a favorite file, open this file, open the symbol, do as above, save file.

Edited by halfcouple
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, halfcouple said:

I think they simply show up with the classes that were used last time the symbol was edited.

I can confirm this is accurate.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I am not having the same experience. Take for example a piece of F44P Cosmic-Global Truss from the Vectorworks library. I select the symbol and import it. I then set the symbols thumbnail view to right isometric and its render mode as hidden line. I see a solid block rather than the tubes of the truss, what I am looking at is the skin over the truss that lives on the 'simplified' class. I enter the symbols edit 3D and turn off the simplified class and exit the symbol. The symbols thumbnail does not change and if I change the view to get it to redraw it does not change that I am seeing the simplified class.

Does this make sense to you guys?

1 hour ago, Haydenovative said:

Take for example a piece of F44P Cosmic-Global Truss from the Vectorworks library. I select the symbol and import it. I then set the symbols thumbnail view to right isometric and its render mode as hidden line.

I'm not shure, but I guess you did not see that after importing you will have two instances of the symbol shown in the resource browser as thumbnails: One ist the (imported-) symbol from your current file whose thumbnail will be shown with the settings of this file, and the other one is the symbol from the library source file which is shown with the setting of the library file. If you want to change the thumbnail view of the library file you have to open this library file, locate the symbol there, edit it and save the file. If you want to change the thumbnail of the file you are just working in you can just edit it there. Depending on which file you edited the resource browser may need a refresh after editing to see the changes.

we put in a bug for this and were told it is WAD, all classes in a symbol will show visible in OpenGL or Hidden line.it is glaringly obvious with the truss symbols and even the content team does not like this.  I put this in as a enhancement request.

• Like 1

There's also this checkbox which seems relevant, though I've never gotten it to work predictably:

Screen-Shot-2018-12-09-at-5_57.32-PM.thumb.jpg.689015758c586fc26a31b83532131332.jpg

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 2