2019 Truss Symbols

Heya Team,

Has anyone else battled with the new Truss Symbols in the 2019 library? Im trying to use the Global F34 Truss and the 2D symbol is now just a rectangle rather than something that looks like truss and the 3D model is just a extruded rounder rectangle. The geometry is somewhere inside this mess but this just seems to be sloppy. Am I missing something or does everyone else see this?

Truss Symbols.PNG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe that the simplified truss is to have a way to work with truss that isn't so data heavy. But it doesn't look right with just the rectangle, which is actually an extrude. I went in and edited the simplified look so that even when simplified is on and truss class is off, it still looks like a truss. I'm sure I increased the data a bit more than just an extrude but it should be nowhere near as much data as the 3D modeled truss.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 3.10.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 3.10.39 PM.png

• 1 month later...

I don’t recall exactly what VW calls their control classes but there should be a set of classes labeled “truss-________” or “rigging-_________”. Something like that. This gives you the ability to “control” what is viewable. If you need a simplified truss view, turn that on and turn off the detail part of the model. Need the detailed version, turn that on and the simple class off. Want text?  Turn that class on. 

In a blank document, insert a piece of truss and play around with it for a moment. You will quickly figure the process out. 

• Like 1

Howdy @kieranhotchkiss,

Happy to help. When you drag in a piece of truss to a new drawing, it automatically adds 4 new classes. They are all, by default, viewable, but you can turn off the ones you're not using.

Rigging - Truss - Insert Points (this is the loci, viewable in 2D and 3D)

Rigging - Truss - Label (This is the text identifying the type and length, viewable only from the 2D portion of the symbol)

Rigging - Truss - Simplified (This is a simple version of the truss to help reduce the strain on your system that complex truss can make. In 2D it is a rectangle the size of the truss, in 3D it is a long white extrude that takes the place of the truss)

Rigging - Truss - Truss (This is the complex version, in 2D it show the ladders and chords of the truss in a bit more detail, in 3D it is the full 3D geometry of the truss piece)

The way these are presumably utilized is that you will either have simplified turned on and truss turned off, or vice versa, depending on what you are doing. If you have a complex drawing and you have completed all necessary truss elements, then turning simplified on and truss off will help you navigate more quickly. Just like @scottmoore said, try dragging one piece into a blank drawing and toggling on and off the classes to see what they do. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, scottmoore said:

I don’t recall exactly what VW calls their control classes but there should be a set of classes labeled “truss-________” or “rigging-_________”. Something like that. This gives you the ability to “control” what is viewable. If you need a simplified truss view, turn that on and turn off the detail part of the model. Need the detailed version, turn that on and the simple class off. Want text?  Turn that class on. 

In a blank document, insert a piece of truss and play around with it for a moment. You will quickly figure the process out. 

Thank you 

7 minutes ago, Haydenovative said:

Howdy @kieranhotchkiss,

Happy to help. When you drag in a piece of truss to a new drawing, it automatically adds 4 new classes. They are all, by default, viewable, but you can turn off the ones you're not using.

Rigging - Truss - Insert Points (this is the loci, viewable in 2D and 3D)

Rigging - Truss - Label (This is the text identifying the type and length, viewable only from the 2D portion of the symbol)

Rigging - Truss - Simplified (This is a simple version of the truss to help reduce the strain on your system that complex truss can make. In 2D it is a rectangle the size of the truss, in 3D it is a long white extrude that takes the place of the truss)

Rigging - Truss - Truss (This is the complex version, in 2D it show the ladders and chords of the truss in a bit more detail, in 3D it is the full 3D geometry of the truss piece)

The way these are presumably utilized is that you will either have simplified turned on and truss turned off, or vice versa, depending on what you are doing. If you have a complex drawing and you have completed all necessary truss elements, then turning simplified on and truss off will help you navigate more quickly. Just like @scottmoore said, try dragging one piece into a blank drawing and toggling on and off the classes to see what they do. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you , this has helped a lot , much appreciated 

• 4 years later...
On 11/20/2018 at 11:12 PM, Haydenovative said:

Heya Team,

Has anyone else battled with the new Truss Symbols in the 2019 library? Im trying to use the Global F34 Truss and the 2D symbol is now just a rectangle rather than something that looks like truss and the 3D model is just a extruded rounder rectangle. The geometry is somewhere inside this mess but this just seems to be sloppy. Am I missing something or does everyone else see this?

Truss Symbols.PNG

buen dia amigo saludos aun no logro cambiarlo me puedesa apoyar por favor