Service Pack 2 for Vectorworks 2019 released

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, Charlie Winter said:

Am I the only one mildly frustrated with the current process of updating. Please direct me to a post about the updater if it exists already.

Vectorworks_2019_Updater.thumb.png.19cd26d35224dd810597cfc22a7a3579.png

I may be missing what you mean, Check for Updates is in the Help menu in Vectorworks directly, the updater itself at the moment has essentially the same buttons it always did, except now it can confirm if the app is still running or not. In previous years it couldn't do this and could cause problems if vw was still up.

There will be fewer buttons going forward, like the removal of the one that says More Info but really just takes you totally he updater.

5 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

I may be missing what you mean, Check for Updates is in the Help menu in Vectorworks directly,

Thanks Jim.

Must be my workspace, 'Check for Updates has always been in under the 1093606354_ScreenShot2018-11-27at12_54_46PM.thumb.png.c0ccc90b2c26a6c2de6e299c0ae3a815.pngVectorworks application menu.

My wonder is if in OS X,  the updater would have the ability to close Vectorworks if it detects that it is open.1093606354_ScreenShot2018-11-27at12_54_46PM.thumb.png.c0ccc90b2c26a6c2de6e299c0ae3a815.png

Having issues with text wrapping in our in-house Drawing Label symbol. Text is linked to record but if "wrapping" button is checked, then it only wraps one letter width resulting in many single letter columns. This is an issue I have seen in previous upgrades (probably decades ago). Nothing on the forum, is anyone else getting the same or have a fix?

4 hours ago, DaviesTheChair said:

Text is linked to record but if "wrapping" button is checked, then it only wraps one letter width resulting in many single letter columns. This is an issue I have seen in previous upgrades (probably decades ago). Nothing on the forum, is anyone else getting the same or have a fix?

Have you checked the width of the text box in the symbol? Sounds like it is very narrow, which is resulting in the single letter word wrap.

SP2 for me has completely broken undo for Spotlight objects. For example, here's a simple move operation on a projector and a rectangle:

undo1.thumb.PNG.0c35fd3ac2749163f16bc72e2d79d2e1.PNG

If I then try to undo I get this:

undo2.thumb.PNG.efc75a0a09bc14951a788126ad0ea560.PNG

Edit: VW crashed and after restarting undo appears to be working fine.

Edited by WesR
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, Patrick Fritsch said:

Here's a bug i've replicated at least ten times today; If you replace about 25 to 30 sheet styles and their sheet size on already existing sheet layers, VW 2019 Sp2 will consistently crash...more joy!

I would encourage you to Bug Submit using the link at the bottom of this page if its a reproducible bug. If no one submits it unfortunately it won't get fixed 😕

Kevin

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Charlie Winter said:

6 hours ago, Charlie Winter said:

Have you checked the width of the text box in the symbol? Sounds like it is very narrow, which is resulting in the single letter word wrap.

Hi Charlie, Yes opened up the text box width but it reverts back to single character and then wraps to single character.

Edited by DaviesTheChair
On 11/30/2018 at 6:24 PM, mjm said:

How I wished I'd thought of or read about the saved views solution.

You're welcome @mjm! I've demonstrated this process through remote/online support many times before and only just thought of it recently myself! I think I was too busy putting out fires with buckets to think of getting the hose… 

On 11/28/2018 at 2:29 PM, WesR said:

SP2 for me has completely broken undo for Spotlight objects. For example, here's a simple move operation on a projector and a rectangle:

undo1.thumb.PNG.0c35fd3ac2749163f16bc72e2d79d2e1.PNG

If I then try to undo I get this:

undo2.thumb.PNG.efc75a0a09bc14951a788126ad0ea560.PNG

Edit: VW crashed and after restarting undo appears to be working fine.

you are not alone in this. Had an issue where I have a truss Structure with fixtures attached. Rotate Structure to apply a rake. Do not like the angle I chose undo and only the fixtures move Truss Stays Rotated and Locked in Position. Only Revert to Save corrects.

• Like 1

I've had one user report the following relating to Undo, but this was on SP1. I couldn't reproduce it on Mac or Windows in SP1 so I'm expecting it was just a random hiccup that a computer restart would remedy. Still, I'm posting it here in case anyone else has experienced it. The user said, 

"moved a section viewport on a design layer, did a convert copy to polygons, and then tried to undo it – the viewport moved back to its previous position, but the polygon copy wasn’t un-created" 

Has anyone else experienced this? Please state version, Service Pack and operating system. 

Edited by Jeremy Best
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 11/29/2018 at 10:56 PM, Jeremy Best said:

I provide Tech Support for users in New Zealand. In my experience frequent crashing is not typical and I expect there is something particular to your circumstances affecting Vectorworks performance. When I encounter users experiencing frequent crashing it is usually due to one of the following - in rough order of cause: 

Cause:    Far-Out-Objects

Solution: If one or more objects (or your entire drawing/model) are too far from the Internal Origin (distinct from the User Origin) it can cause a wide variety of issues. Crashes can be more prone in some versions of Vectorworks evidently due to changes in how the software handles [hardware] resources which are pushed exponentially harder the further away objects are in any (X, Y or Z) direction. See the attached guided process (a draft) I wrote to address this scenario. 

Cause:    Graphics card drivers are out of date. (Windows users only).

Solution: Update graphics card drivers

Cause:    Graphics card drivers are corrupt (Windows users only).

Solution: Perform a 'clean' installation of graphics card drivers

Cause:    A Vectorworks system file has lost its mind

Solution: Reset Vectorworks Preferences (The process, not the button in Vectorworks Preferences)

Cause:    Under-powered hardware / Too much demand on hardware

Solution: This is very particular to the individual circumstances. Eg. Reduce number of monitors / total number of pixels being powered by your graphics card. Reduce the quantity or complexity of geometry in your file. 

Cause:    Corrupt object

Solution: A process of elimination to isolate and delete said object. Rule out Design Layers by deleting them 50% at a time, re-test for issue. Repeat. Submit your file to Tech Support if you need assistance. 

Cause:    Corrupt file

Solution: Export it to prior version then reopen in current version. OR Create 'New blank document.' Import all Design Layers including objects (Not copy/paste). Test. Failing this, resort to a backup file. 

Cause:    Anti-virus software has interfered with an installation or update

Solution: Uninstall. Download latest installer. Turn off antivirus 'real-time monitoring' or similarly named service. Reinstall

Cause:   Software conflict

Solution: Close all other programs and restart Vectorworks. Test. No better? Then reboot in Safe Mode. Test. Better? Suspect extensions or seemingly 'small' or 'background' apps such as Seagate Dashboard which pretty conclusively caused heaps of crashing for one of my users. Problems GONE once removed. 

Tech Support Tutorial; Rectifying 'far out objects' - Written Guide.pdf

Excellent list.

1 hour ago, DonMiki said:

We need update to fix the errors, quickly 

We can not work properly 

If the issues you're experiencing are not addressed in the SP2 release notes then it won't make affect your situation. Perhaps they can be addressed regardless of the update.  Could you please specify the nature of the issues you're experiencing? 

Edited by Jeremy Best
Layout improvement
On 12/3/2018 at 5:08 PM, sbarnett said:

you are not alone in this. Had an issue where I have a truss Structure with fixtures attached. Rotate Structure to apply a rake. Do not like the angle I chose undo and only the fixtures move Truss Stays Rotated and Locked in Position. Only Revert to Save corrects.

Yep, I've run into it a few times since then. Every time requires restarting Vectorworks before undo works properly again.

• 4 weeks later...