Changing Attribute defaults????

tgm

How can I change my Pattern attribute defaults?? I follow the instructions and when I go to change the default pattern it only shows 30 some patterns none of which I want to be the default. The pattern pallete contains at least twice that many. Why can't I choose the one I want ?? Seems kind of odd, don't you think.

Now every time I click the pattern pallete I have to go back and redo it each time.

Any help out there?

Tom

You can do two things - You can set the attribute defaults or you can create a script for this.

The script is really easy -

Go to the Attribute palette (without anything selected) and set the pattern that you'd like to use as the default along with the pen weight and colors.

Go to Organize>Custom Tool Attribute.

Checkmark Pen, line, and fill- or just fill depending on how many of the attributes you'd like the script to have, and then click OK.

You'll have a new script palette created. To use it, just change something in the attribute palette, then double click on your script, then draw a rectangle or something. You'll see the rectangle use whatever setting you included in your script.

It's also a good idea to create a script with normal attribute settings to easily switch between your desired default, and the normal drawing default.

Hi Tom,

I see what you are loking for.

The "Set Attributes Default" for Patterns is a bit of a misnomer. It does not let you "set" the default pattern that appears in the attributes palette when you choose a pattern.

It really just lets you edit the last 36 patterns in the palette to your liking. The first 36 patterns are fixed, and cannot be edited.

This has nothing to do with which pattern appears in the fill graphic when you set the fill to "Pattern". The pattern that first appears is always pattern #3. It never remembers the pattern you had the last time you chose "Pattern".

Maybe you should post this on the Wish List section of the message board. I don't see why VectorWorks couldn't remember the last pattern used, and save it as the default. This would be an improvement.

You can certianly save a "Custom Attribute" as Katie suggests, but it would be nice if the last used pattern could be remembered in the palette, like the color is remembered when you choose "Solid" fill.