Worksheet simple help needed

domer1322

Question

I don't know worksheets well, and I can't solve this problem:  on the attached image you'll see the final three rows of the database are empty on the left side, but seem to have a value in the other columns.   I set the search criteria for all space objects on a certain layer, and I'm convinced I have 68 space objects.  However, the worksheet shows 71 objects with the last three having odd values.  I simply want to delete the last three rows, but I can't.  If I try to "delete row" the entire list of 68 objects is deleted.  I tried to find the final 3 items on my drawing (database numbers 3.69,  3.70, and 3.71) but I can't find them with all classes turned on.   There must be 3 objects with a space record, but I sure can't find them.   

Can anyone offer some help with this ?    I'm using VW 2015.

space test.tiff

8 answers to this question

thanks, but i tried that many times without success.  When i did it, the design layer view changes slightly, as if the view is panning to put a selected object in the center of the screen.  However, there is no visual selection 'border' around any thing, and the OIP says nothing is selected.   I also tried to use the icon that puts all selected objects on the screen, but that doesn't even force the view to pan.

Any other ideas ?

You could add a couple of extra columns with "=L" & "=C" in the database headers so you can narrow down what class and layer the spaces are on.

Other than that I think we would need to see the file to see what is going on. What are the columns in your image? areas? and?

What is your criteria for the database row? If it is Type is Space, then you do have 71 space objects in the drawing regardless of what you think you have.

Remember that instances of objects in viewports show up in worksheets as objects. You probably want to change the criteria to include the Layer(s) that contain your space objects so they are not counted twice by being in a viewport.

@Boh's idea of adding Layer and Class columns, and possible XCenter and YCenter as well to be able to locate the objects are good ideas also.

• Like 1

thanks for your help  .....  but .....  

I tried adding columns for layer and class, and that told me the 3 "blank" items are on the same layer as the space objects, with "Space-Spec" and "none" for the classes.  Then I added the "XCenter" and "Ycenter" columns, and the resulting locations were near my floor plan, but about 50 ft outside of it, in a blank area of the screen.   I tried selecting anything in the area, but nothing can be selected in that location (perhaps because there isn't anything there).  ALSO:  my database criteria was layer=1st floor spaces and type=space.   (I put my spaces on a different design layer than the floor plan.)

So you taught me a few things (thanks) but I still have the initial problem.   Also ... the columns shown on my worksheet are 'area' and 'occupancy'.  I am manually entering the occupancy for each space, so the numbers are incomplete/wrong.    However ... now that generates another question that you might find easier to answer.  I am individually selecting each space object, then clicking on the "settings" button in the OIP to find the occupant number and change it.  I recall there is a way to alter the OIP so that it will show an additional  data field for something like "occupancy".  If done, then I could change the occupancy number directly in the OIP.   Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to change the data fields in the OIP ?  ( I looked and couldn't figure it out.)

I decided to attach a revised screen shot ....   maybe that will give a clue ?

This file is for my church and I have replicated this file over many years, always translating the file into a newer version of VW.   Is it possible that this anomaly is simply the result of an old, re-used file that started in VW 2001 and is now somehow corrupted in ways that are not to be understood ?  Is there a solution to that ?

spaces test.tiff

18 minutes ago, domer1322 said:

3 "blank" items are on the same layer as the space objects,

Assuming these are on a design layer then maybe try copying everything on that design layer into a new blank file along with the worksheet and then recalculate the worksheet in the new file to see if the anomaly reappears? If not delete the oringinal DL and reimport the new file design layer.

If it does reappear then you could gradually start stripping out everything in the new file design layer, recalculating the worksheet as you go to see if you can corner the offending items.

26 minutes ago, domer1322 said:

I am individually selecting each space object, then clicking on the "settings" button in the OIP to find the occupant number and change it.  I recall there is a way to alter the OIP so that it will show an additional  data field for something like "occupancy".  If done, then I could change the occupancy number directly in the OIP.   Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to change the data fields in the OIP ?  ( I looked and couldn't figure it out.)

Have you tried editing the numbers directly in the actual worksheet? This is one of the big plusses of how a two way worksheet operates. That said, some data fields may not have this capability so yes you would then need to edit the actual object. You can change what space info appears in the OIP via the "advanced " tab of the space object dialogue.

image.thumb.png.8119cfc547e0c148f4cab8e320029663.png

33 minutes ago, domer1322 said:

This file is for my church and I have replicated this file over many years, always translating the file into a newer version of VW.   Is it possible that this anomaly is simply the result of an old, re-used file that started in VW 2001 and is now somehow corrupted in ways that are not to be understood ?  Is there a solution to that ?

I'm not an expert on this but I would say it is probably due for a clean out...

Boh:

thanks for your help ....   your ideas worked.  I re-copied the spaces into a new layer and made a brand new worksheet.   Success !          Also:  thanks for the tip on the OIP data field.  I found it and added the Number of occupants on the OIP.  That is much easier.  However, it appears the space object (in VW2015) does not have two-way capable worksheets for that data field.  It has capability for some fields, but not for others ... unless i'm missing something.

Once again ... thanks.

• Like 1

Or maybe I should actually try these things before I post them.  😞

Many of the fields in the Space object have both an editable and a static text version. The static text version is calculated based on the other entered data and is not editable in a worksheet. The numeric version is typically editable.

'Space'.'SpaceOccupancyRequirements_OccupancyNumber'

Should  be editable in a worksheet.

'Space'.'Occupancy' Is a static text representation and should change if you change 'Space'.'SpaceOccupancyRequirements_OccupancyNumber', but not be directly editable in the worksheet.

Pat

Edited by Pat Stanford
Incorrect Information Provided