Exporting to DWG

Hello

Can anyone give me a clear explanation of the difference between the layers/classes in vectorworks and the layers in autocad? How can the layers and classes in vectorworks be best translated to autocad, so that the easy navigation between layers and classes can be maintained?

I have recently completed a measured building survey and have drawn up the data in vectorworks. However once i export it as a dwg for use in autocad, its difficult to switch the different floors and components on and off. I have attached the dwg to this message.

Thanks and apologies if this has already been covered

Ben

Vectorworks 2017

Building Survey.dwg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Design Layers are the equivalent of AutoCAD model space, so will disappear when exported to DWG, unless you export them as individual X-Refs.

The Vectorworks equivalent of an AutoCAD layer is the Class. So, use Design Layers to separate the model in physical space (e.g. each floor), and classes to distinguish WHAT things are - and what they look. The classes will automatically translate to layers on export.

It is a problem that Autocad has only one of Layers and Classes = ACAD Layers.

So you can't structure your files as comfortable as VW at all.

Like in Microstation in the past, sorting by Stories would mean duplicate Layers

like "1stFloor_Furniture", "2ndFloor_Furniture", .... and Layer filtering.

If you export all VW Layers into a single DWG, e.g. all Stories Furniture Class Objects

will export to the same ACAD Layer.

If you choose to export separate Files for each Layer in DWG Export Settings instead,

you will keep the option to separate Stories in ACAD later.

Like by Referencing all Stories DWG's into a single Main DWG File or such things ....

Edited by zoomer

Exporting to DWG has always been highly problematic. The only time I was able to have a seamless back and forth with the ACAD world was a project which I deliberately set up with only one Design Layer and many, many Classes. While it's possible to set up a VW file this way, it completely dilutes the elegant system of interwoven Layers and Classes which is perhaps the single best thing about VW's... 

47 minutes ago, CipesDesign said:

While it's possible to set up a VW file this way, it completely dilutes the elegant system of interwoven Layers and Classes which is perhaps the single best thing about VW's... 

Yes, that would be complete waste ....

I am not so firm in living without extra Layers,

but when I think of alternate options to separate things like Stories beside ACAD Layers only,

maybe grouping whole VW Layers could help.

Or packing each (or more) VW Layer(s) into a Symbol may work too.

(My experience with DWG Imports is that ACAD Users love Blocks and pack everything

into Blocks anyway)